Annoying fractions when buying shells

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Annoying fractions when buying shells

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:30 pm

I'm on Richard's seashells website and I have to say, the fractions he's giving for opening size are ridiculous! So far my orders have consisted of: 13/16", 47/64", 29/32"... I've been sitting here for 20 minutes just rounding and reducing fractions to try to figure out whether these things are approx 1/2", 3/4" or almost 1" lol this level of precision is ridiculous, especially considering the openings will vary. What a pain.

At least im getting a little refresher on fractions!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Annoying fractions when buying shells

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:39 pm

Same. I sometimes wish they’d just use decimals if they’re gonna go crazy with the fractions like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:45 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Same. I sometimes wish they’d just use decimals if they’re gonna go crazy with the fractions like that.

Lol omg I'm such a dufus, I didnt even think to convert these to decimals! Here I am plugging away w pencil and paper Haha. Yeah that would be a lot easier

Topic author
ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:21 pm

ROSIEonFIRE wrote:Lol omg I'm such a dufus, I didnt even think to convert these to decimals! Here I am plugging away w pencil and paper Haha. Yeah that would be a lot easier

This is why I did so badly on the math section of the gres. My brain doesn't take these shortcuts!

Maddamay32

Post by Maddamay32 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:45 pm

lol I just google what those fractions look like on a ruler and then I use my own ruler at home to tell what I need
8 crabs at the moment "Tarzan, Kermit, Shy guy, Eduardo, Jimbo, Rosa, Diesel, Treaker"

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:03 pm

Yea, google is your friend. I don't think the crabbies will care if a shell is 1/64th larger or smaller. I personally think shell sizes measured down to 1/8" is fine in most cases. With our baby crabs that are about a year old 1/16" increments would be plenty. As long as the opening is big enough to poop in they will will be happy!
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:01 pm

I gave up looking at the Richard's site because I couldn't figure out the fractions! LOL!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:17 am

curlysister wrote:I gave up looking at the Richard's site because I couldn't figure out the fractions! LOL!
They have a weird way of sorting, but it’s a wonderful store with great customer service.

They even custom ordered some shells for me when I couldn’t find the right size.