The Shell Removal Experiment

This is where you discuss shells for your hermit crabs. Not for selling/swapping shells, use Classified Ads for that.

Topic author
angelbear

Re: The Shell Removal Experiment

Post by angelbear » Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:13 am

True. Don't dig for shells but on that note

My two that are up rigjt nkw currently have been dragging shells around the tank amd stashing them places this weekend. No shell chamges but they still activly examine the ones I put in their.

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:18 pm

There has been no interest in either tank. I thought there was for a particular shell, but they were just climbing over it.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Links

Post by Links » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:37 pm

I decided to leave mine in until I see my 3 other crabs. It’s been a one man show in the tank for a while.

Crabsncritters

Post by Crabsncritters » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:17 am

Ok, no digging on this end (by humans at least) :)

w h a l e b o n e

Post by w h a l e b o n e » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:07 pm

Ok I'm in now I think. I just got 2 new crabs. One immediately changes into a blue turbo

Links

Post by Links » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:08 am

Well I was close to getting back in because one of my two tinys resurfaced after what seems like two months. He/she named strawberry is still in painted shell. Yesterday I noticed strawberry by the freshwater edge tucked in shell. But today strawberry is in the same spot and hanging out of the shell a bit. I touched the top of the shell very lightly and then lightly picked up on the shell and strawberry is limp and the big claw fell off. No movement either. Never saw strawberry eat or drink since I got him/her in February. Still waiting on her partner “cookie” to make an appearance.

Mr crabs and Crabby are doing well but I think mr crabs has finally gone down to molt. He’s been with me since October and not molted yet. Wish him and me luck.

Edit to add: forgot that I saw strawberry on some moss in top of some wood. I suppose strawberry munched on the moss and had enough energy to climb up there. So not sure why this happened just several days later.

avocadocrabbies

Post by avocadocrabbies » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:28 am

Hi! I just found this and I think it's a great idea. I'm removing my shells now and will put them back in once a week.
My crabbies:
Argyle: medium sized viola
Karen: medium sized purple pincer
Igor: smallish-medium ecuadorian
Mrs. Hurricane Sandy (or just Sandy): largish purple pincer

I have 3-4 extra shells per crab (15 total) and in the beginning when I first brought my crabbies home, they changed shells quite often and even exchanged shells among the ones they were currently wearing. After a while, none of them really changed shells and they don't even pay attention to the shells. In fact, when I spot clean and move toys around, I find that they often bury the shells or the shells become buried because of how often they walk on top of them (they get pushed into the substrate). I will start from today, and put the shells back in on Friday, leave them for 2 days, and take them out, repeat. I'll update here!
four crabbies: Pool Guy, Karen, Hurricane Sandy, Igor- 3 PPs and an E :)

Topic author
angelbear

Post by angelbear » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:29 pm

I just thought Id pop back on. I know it has been a while. I kept up with the experiment even if I was not posting. I never saw any shell aggression and when I did put the shells in I made sure rhere was three per crab. Some weekends they were highly intrested. Some they ignored them. I did see a few small swaps and swap backs during this time as well. So it didnt seem to harm them any.
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

KyMart

Post by KyMart » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:03 pm

angelbear wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:29 pm
I just thought Id pop back on. I know it has been a while. I kept up with the experiment even if I was not posting. I never saw any shell aggression and when I did put the shells in I made sure rhere was three per crab. Some weekends they were highly intrested. Some they ignored them. I did see a few small swaps and swap backs during this time as well. So it didnt seem to harm them any.
We never got any updates, how did it go?
I have 5 PPs in a 40 gallon breeder!
~
Want to meet the crew? [link goes here when ready]
~
KyMart