some things from my garden

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
sandra03

some things from my garden

Post by sandra03 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:16 am

Hi, as the season winds down I'm wanting to harvest some goodies from the garden to dehydrate for the crabs to last through the winter. Just not sure if some of these are safe or not, couldn't find them on the food lists. we don't use chemicals in the garden
oregano
cosmos
snapdragons
leaves and branches from pear tree
leaves and flowers from bean plant
leaves from tomato plant

I'm sure there is more, I will probably add to the list when I go through the garden and see what all I have that is almost done. thanks
DON'T DRINK THE KOOL-AID!

Rawrgeous

Re: some things from my garden

Post by Rawrgeous » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:24 pm

Oregano is safe, and tomatoes themselves are safe, so I'm assuming the plant should be fine same thing with pears? Idk, a good way to know is to look up and see if each item is known to be safe for insects/ other crustaceans as that is usually a good indicator of safety.

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:50 am

You know, I'd be willin to bet that if rolly pollies will nosh on it, it's crab safe.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

crabbo_man

Post by crabbo_man » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:37 am

No plant expert, but with tomatoes being a member of the nightshade family, everything except the fruit is poisonous to people . Wouldn't know whether or not that's the same for crabs, but I wouldn't use my pets for a potentially lethal experiment.

mool

Post by mool » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:56 am

crabbo_man wrote:No plant expert, but with tomatoes being a member of the nightshade family, everything except the fruit is poisonous to people . Wouldn't know whether or not that's the same for crabs, but I wouldn't use my pets for a potentially lethal experiment.
Agree

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:54 am

That I did not know- I stand corrected.