Is it okay to feed cheese?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
CrabbyOne

Is it okay to feed cheese?

Post by CrabbyOne » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Is it okay to feed American cheese to hermit crabs.

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Is it okay to feed cheese?

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:58 pm

No - it is not real cheese. (You mean the processed cheese, rightyes?)
It contains many synthetic ingredients that we can't begin to guess the effect of on crabs. Sticking to natural, simple ingredients with crustaceans is safest. :)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

CrabbyEmerson

Post by CrabbyEmerson » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:43 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:No - it is not real cheese. (You mean the processed cheese, rightyes?)
It contains many synthetic ingredients that we can't begin to guess the effect of on crabs. Sticking to natural, simple ingredients with crustaceans is safest. :)
It's on the safe foods list though?
3 PPs and 2 Es

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:57 am

real cheese is - not the rubbery single slice in plastic wrap that we call processed or amricsn cheese.

If giving cheese to crabbies you want to use a good quality cheese, maybe a nice aged cheddar, or see if they like blue cheese, or swiss. :wink:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:12 pm

Hello, I would like to interject and disagree with the poster who thinks a higher grade of cheese is preferable to the wrapped kind. According to the myriad documents ive read about feeding, ALL dairy is a no no. It is allegedly indigestible and will block crabbys intestines. This is what I read, i have no real life experience feeding my crabs cheese. My logic: crabs eat what they find in nature. Fruit, bugs, dead wood, etc. Cheese is man made so not likely to "wash up". I hope this gives you another viewpoint, and good luck.
CM
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:06 am

The HCA has found that small amounts of dairy from time to time does not seem to cause harm.

** After extensive tests in several EH member tanks, it has been discovered that dairy items are not lethal to crabs. In fact, most crabs really enjoy cheddar cheese, live-culture yogurt, and the occasional drink of milk. While extended long-term testing is still underway, there has been 8 months of trials with no harm to the test crabs. For now, dairy is acceptable, once every 30 to 60 days as a treat. It should not be relied upon as a food base.

That is a snippet directly from our safe foods section. :)

Starview66

Post by Starview66 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:58 am

Rawrgeous wrote:The HCA has found that small amounts of dairy from time to time does not seem to cause harm.

** After extensive tests in several EH member tanks, it has been discovered that dairy items are not lethal to crabs. In fact, most crabs really enjoy cheddar cheese, live-culture yogurt, and the occasional drink of milk. While extended long-term testing is still underway, there has been 8 months of trials with no harm to the test crabs. For now, dairy is acceptable, once every 30 to 60 days as a treat. It should not be relied upon as a food base.

That is a snippet directly from our safe foods section. :)
There's so many foods out there to feed hermit crabs I don't know why people don't just stick with what they know for sure is completely safe for the crabs... And not take risks on which foods may or may not be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:04 am

Well, there are more foods we don't know are safe or not than there are safe, so that's probably why people branch out. They are scavengers, so in reality there isn't much naturally occurring things they absolutely can not have. I go by the rule of thumb, if it's natural, safe for insects, and reptiles it is probably safe. Plus, the foods list wouldn't be as extensive as it is if nobody experimented. ;) With very little actual scientific data on them it's up to us to find out!

CrabMater

Post by CrabMater » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:34 pm

This whole process of being the CrabMater has taught me to think like a crab, esp with food. I have seen pictures of these poor buggers eating resturant garbage, due to Mans encroachment on their habitat.
But probably 90% of what the sea brings in is raw foods. I use msw to rinse off egg shells because of salmonella (more for my saftey) i always have an egg shell stash. The bounty of the sea would bring them dead fish and bones and trees drop fruit in every stage of ripeness. Carrion, offal and feces are all things HCs would "run into" while foraging. Not to mention dead leaves, wood and seaweed.
Cheese, like fast food or cereal, falls into the "resturant trash" section. Something the crab would eat if he was forced to leave the saftey of the shore. I don't feed my crabs cheese but mostly because a crab doesnt have a reason to digest milk, he's cold blooded. Im very leery of dairy products in general. But hey, a little restaurant trash is ok! we should all be so careful with what we put into our bodies. My crabs seem to LOVE hotdogs. And during the summer when they were in the house, i did boil a heel in dechlorinated water once a week. But they much prefer fresh greens, fruits, fish and shells. I DO buy them bloodworms. Protien in some form or another figures prominently.
Now that autumn is here im going to see about stocking up on dried red fruits to boost their color. The prices for "hermit crab color boosting food" is ridiculous. As i type this John is sitting inside of an egg shell, casually sawing away.
https://flic.kr/p/PmCEDm
CrabMater to 2PPs : John & Diana (formerly Cherry Bomb)
Crabbin' since June '16 (RIP Pinchy 7/16 / RIP Dean )

MORE SUBSTRATE!