Entire Immature Walnuts

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Someoneman

Entire Immature Walnuts

Post by Someoneman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:58 pm

I'm setting up a batch of young walnuts fermenting for walnut ketchup, and it occurred to me the crabs might like one (unfermented). The only info I can find on safety refers to mature shelled English walnuts, not whole black walnuts with husk and shell, so I was wondering if anyone had an idea as to their safety.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Entire Immature Walnuts

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:32 pm

Wow, you have my attention!! I love ketchup!!! What is walnut ketchup, and what is it used for?

I personally purchase organic walnuts, although not black ones, never heard of those, and my crabs love them! I have given my crabs the shells. I crack them open and expose what is inside. Mine love all sorts of nuts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:10 pm

I would at least husk them, it is extremely bitter and pretty much nothing eats it so it might turn the crabs off. Walnuts and shells are safe though.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Someoneman

Post by Someoneman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:34 pm

As recently as the turn of the century, ketchup was pretty much a generic term for sauces containing vinegar, with mushroom and walnut being popular bases. It was only recently that tomato ketchup became synonymous with the term. I found the recipe in an old edition of The Joy of Cooking, of the vintage that includes instructions on preparing beaver tail. It pretty much amounts to brining young walnuts (before the hard shell has developed within the husk) for a week before boiling the mash with spices, anchovies and port and straining. From what I've read, walnut ketchup is not dissimilar to Worcestershire sauce.

I'll make it an experiment, I think, since the concern is them not being eaten, not them being a danger. A whole immature walnut alongside one peeled down to the still-soft shell and one bisected to expose the heart.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:27 pm

Interesting information!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:12 pm

Ooh - careful not to get the dye on your clothes. Maybe wear gloves if you'll need to cut out bad bits or anything & don't want your fingers discolored?
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(