Nutrional yeast

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Xenocrab

Re: Nutrional yeast

Post by Xenocrab » Sat May 04, 2019 12:00 am

Try it for yourself! I'm so surprised nobody knows about nooch! We've used it almost every day for years!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sat May 04, 2019 3:56 am

I gave this to my crabs as well, they don’t mind it, but it’s something that I personally mixed into my own blend of dry foods for them, try it!
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat May 04, 2019 6:13 am

curlysister wrote:Completely unrelated to whether it is safe for crabs....what does it taste like to humans?
If you try it plain to me it has a butter and cheddar like taste. It can have an overpowering flavor if you use too much. I ruined a batch of popcorn once because I used too much.

I think it's really good in spaghetti. After It's drained I add coconut oil and about 2 tablespoons of "nooch" for one box. Or you can sprinkle it on like cheese.

It's a must have in a vegetarian or vegan kitchen.

Here's a good article with more info on nooch.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323245.php

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sat May 04, 2019 7:11 am

Motörcrab wrote:
Sat May 04, 2019 6:13 am
If you try it plain to me it has a butter and cheddar like taste. It can have an overpowering flavor if you use too much. I ruined a batch of popcorn once because I used too much.

I think it's really good in spaghetti. After It's drained I add coconut oil and about 2 tablespoons of "nooch" for one box. Or you can sprinkle it on like cheese.

It's a must have in a vegetarian or vegan kitchen.

Here's a good article with more info on nooch.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323245.php

My family was vegetarian for over ten years until we tried some meat one Thanksgiving and have worked our way up to some others and our cooking and meal time has been great with the addition of meats. I have never tried nutritional yeast before, as the smell alone made me a bit hesitant, but we should give it a try!
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat May 04, 2019 8:05 am

Nooch isn't a stand alone because it has a pretty powerful taste. Like if you try Kool aid or other drink mix out of the pack.

It's excellent when making tofu scrambles. Tofu is another food that isn't great out of the box. If prepared right, pressed first to get rid of the water it can be really good and done up different ways.

I added some nooch in for my crabs last night and it appears that they ate about half of what I put in. That's with having 3 out of 8 up at the moment.

I'm not sure if I would purchase nooch specifically to feed crabs. A container would probably last a few years if you were feeding it once a week. If you plan on trying to use it for your own meals I would give it a try.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun May 05, 2019 4:32 pm

Huh. I have been a vegetarian for 30 years, and have never heard of it. But then, I am in Canada. I have definitely heard of nutritional yeast, maybe just different brands. I am in the US this week tho. Where would I find Nooch?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Sun May 05, 2019 4:41 pm

Where are you in the U.S.? We get ours from Walmart, Giant and Weis markets/grocery stores.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sun May 05, 2019 4:57 pm

If you go to a Walmart they should have it. Our Walmart has is near the flour in the baking aisle. It's near the bee pollen, and powdered proteins, hemp and flax seeds.

Some store put stuff in different areas so it may be a bit difficult to find. I asked at one one grocery store and nobody knew what I was talking about.

I know of two brands that should be easier to track down. Walmart sells Red Star brand. It has a black label. The other type is from Brags. It has a yellow label.

The Red Star has a higher percentage of daily nutritional value compared to Brags.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Mon May 06, 2019 3:12 pm

I am in Palm Springs for the week. I will check the closest grocery store and if they don't have it, I will head to WalMart. Thanks!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers