how often you rotate in food?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Motörcrab

Re: how often you rotate in food?

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:32 pm

I believe I am one that over feeds my crabs. After i'm done mixing everything together I probably have at least a tablespoon worth of food in their dry dish. I only scoop up a little of each thing but by the time I add 4 or 5 things it's a lot.

What would be an "average" amount of food for 3 PP's and 5 Straws all large. 1 teaspoon?
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:56 pm

Motörcrab wrote:I believe I am one that over feeds my crabs. After i'm done mixing everything together I probably have at least a tablespoon worth of food in their dry dish. I only scoop up a little of each thing but by the time I add 4 or 5 things it's a lot.

What would be an "average" amount of food for 3 PP's and 5 Straws all large. 1 teaspoon?
Exactly. I do the same thing. Small scoop of each but after so many different items it's a full bowl. I'd like to know this as well.
Here's tonight's supper:

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:24 am

I tend to only use a teaspoon when feeding dry food. The crabs always get fresh food no matter what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:06 am

@Motörcrab and @ciaraalston ~ you would gauge how much you are over feeding by how much is left in your dishes in the morning If there is a lot~ you are over feeding. If there is just a little bit of food then you are okay. Better to over feed than under

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

heyitseggs2

Post by heyitseggs2 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:54 am

wodesorel wrote:Just try not to feed the same thing twice in a row, and try to always have a protein and fruit available.
Why can't we feed them the same thing twice in a row? I've done that for the whole time I've had crabs. I started keeping a log of the food I feed them here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0
But for example, I fed them Avocado two days in a row. I didn't think that was bad...
sophia
rio (pp, male)
malibu (pp, female)
angeles (pp, female)
lover of saxophone, guitar, soccer, and of course hermit crabs!

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:34 am

ciaraalston wrote:
Motörcrab wrote:I believe I am one that over feeds my crabs. After i'm done mixing everything together I probably have at least a tablespoon worth of food in their dry dish. I only scoop up a little of each thing but by the time I add 4 or 5 things it's a lot.

Exactly. I do the same thing. Small scoop of each but after so many different items it's a full bowl. I'd like to know this as well.
Here's tonight's supper:

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
We have the same dish. :D Do you have a problem with food sticking to it? I can never get mine completely clean.
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:52 am

@ciaraalston If your tank allows it (room wise) - keep a separate dish for calcium items. Those things should be kept in the tank at all times anyway. I keep a dish that has a mixture of calcium items in each of my crabitats. In it I keep calcium carbonate, fine oyster shell, crushed eggshell and powdered eggshell. I also put greensand in this dish. Then, I take the coarse oyster shell and sprinkle it on my substrate. This way you aren't throwing those things away. :) Just an idea :) It works for me!

@heyitseggs I didn't look at your link, but typically you want to avoid feeding the same thing twice in a row so the crabs don't get create a food aversion, or get bored with their food. Also, by adding new things to the tank, you entice your crabbies to come check it out! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:44 am

GotButterflies wrote:@Motörcrab and @ciaraalston ~ you would gauge how much you are over feeding by how much is left in your dishes in the morning Image If there is a lot~ you are over feeding. If there is just a little bit of food then you are okay. Better to over feed than under Image

So simple! Why didn't I think of that!!! :oops:

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:53 pm

I change their food once every day or to
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:54 pm

I am an overfeeder, just because my crabs seem to be messy with the food, so I tend to offer more so others can have a chance :)

Sent from my IPA1489 using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

heyitseggs2

Post by heyitseggs2 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:14 am

GotButterflies wrote:@ciaraalston If your tank allows it (room wise) - keep a separate dish for calcium items. Those things should be kept in the tank at all times anyway. I keep a dish that has a mixture of calcium items in each of my crabitats. In it I keep calcium carbonate, fine oyster shell, crushed eggshell and powdered eggshell. I also put greensand in this dish. Then, I take the coarse oyster shell and sprinkle it on my substrate. This way you aren't throwing those things away. :) Just an idea :) It works for me!

@heyitseggs I didn't look at your link, but typically you want to avoid feeding the same thing twice in a row so the crabs don't get create a food aversion, or get bored with their food. Also, by adding new things to the tank, you entice your crabbies to come check it out! :)
I'll give them like avocado two days in a row but its accompanied by different foods. Is that okay?
sophia
rio (pp, male)
malibu (pp, female)
angeles (pp, female)

heyitseggs2

Post by heyitseggs2 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 am

GotButterflies wrote:@ciaraalston If your tank allows it (room wise) - keep a separate dish for calcium items. Those things should be kept in the tank at all times anyway. I keep a dish that has a mixture of calcium items in each of my crabitats. In it I keep calcium carbonate, fine oyster shell, crushed eggshell and powdered eggshell. I also put greensand in this dish. Then, I take the coarse oyster shell and sprinkle it on my substrate. This way you aren't throwing those things away. :) Just an idea :) It works for me!

I'll give them like avocado two days in a row but its accompanied by different foods. Is that okay?
sophia
rio (pp, male)
malibu (pp, female)
angeles (pp, female)

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:08 pm

heyitseggs2 wrote:

I give some of the same things 2 days in a row but at the same time also offer different things each day if that makes sense? I’m still learning what they prefer over other things...
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:44 pm

I don't think crabs mind having one or two items repeat on their menu. It's like any type of leftovers. At Thanksgiving most people, not me being strictly plant based, the other 96% of America have turkey for their big meal. Then it's turkey this, turkey that for the next 4-5 days. By the end of the week everyone is tired of turkey. I'm sure the crabs are the same way.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:36 pm

So, do yall count crickets and worms as 1 protein or 2 when you serve them together?

EDITED TO ADD:
Wouldn't other things count as their proteins? Like powdered eggs? Or did you mean you serve at least 2 animal proteins a day? @GotButterflies
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot