Nightly menu

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Re: Nightly menu

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:46 pm

ApePlanet wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:
fandt94 wrote: Got mine today!!
Pictures!!!! ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
Started with a small order but will definitely be ordering more in the near future. Got bloodworms, calcium carbonate, and a sample pack of mixes, plus some bonus goodies. Thanks @gotbutterflies!

My crabs LOVE the Florida blue crab and crawfish exoskeleton if you wanna try those next Image

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:14 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:Pictures!!!! ImageImageImageImage

Started with a small order but will definitely be ordering more in the near future. Got bloodworms, calcium carbonate, and a sample pack of mixes, plus some bonus goodies. Thanks @gotbutterflies!

My crabs LOVE the Florida blue crab and crawfish exoskeleton if you wanna try those next Image

Thanks for the suggestions. Question: what food to you put in every night for them?

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:18 pm

ApePlanet wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:
ApePlanet wrote: Started with a small order but will definitely be ordering more in the near future. Got bloodworms, calcium carbonate, and a sample pack of mixes, plus some bonus goodies. Thanks @gotbutterflies!

Thanks for the suggestions. Question: what food to you put in every night for them?
I don't keep anything every night. It's all rotated except worm castings, calcium powder and oyster shells. Those are all kept in seperate dishes in the tank. I don't want them to get tired of anything.

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:25 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:My crabs LOVE the Florida blue crab and crawfish exoskeleton if you wanna try those next Image

I don't keep anything every night. It's all rotated except worm castings, calcium powder and oyster shells. Those are all kept in seperate dishes in the tank. I don't want them to get tired of anything.

Okay, that’s what I meant then; the oyster shells, worm castings, and calcium.

Where do you get these from?

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:36 pm

On a nightly basis in a separate dish I also keep some type of calcium, either a powder form or crushed oysters or a mineral supplement which I got at THCP...along with worm castings and sometimes I will add a few mealworms as well...and green sand. Like tonight I put in castings, green sand & crushed oysters.

Edited to add you can get them pretty much at any of the online stores. I originally ordered mine from THCP but The Healthy Hermit has it all too!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:23 pm

ApePlanet wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:
ApePlanet wrote: Thanks for the suggestions. Question: what food to you put in every night for them?

Okay, that’s what I meant then; the oyster shells, worm castings, and calcium.

Where do you get these from?
My worm castings and honey coral calcium powder came from hermit crab patch. My oyster shells came from @GotButterflies
I'm almost out of worm castings so I'll probably go by home depot and get some. The honey coral calcium is also low (I ordered them both in march) and I have to order it from HCP because they are the only ones that carry it. My crabs LOVE that. Lol

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:23 pm

fandt94 wrote:On a nightly basis in a separate dish I also keep some type of calcium, either a powder form or crushed oysters or a mineral supplement which I got at THCP...along with worm castings and sometimes I will add a few mealworms as well...and green sand. Like tonight I put in castings, green sand & crushed oysters.

Edited to add you can get them pretty much at any of the online stores. I originally ordered mine from THCP but The Healthy Hermit has it all too!
I have green sand in my cart finally! Image

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:40 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
fandt94 wrote:On a nightly basis in a separate dish I also keep some type of calcium, either a powder form or crushed oysters or a mineral supplement which I got at THCP...along with worm castings and sometimes I will add a few mealworms as well...and green sand. Like tonight I put in castings, green sand & crushed oysters.

I have green sand in my cart finally! Image

Yay! :wink: 2 of my crabs are always in the dish with the green sand...
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:50 am

ApePlanet wrote:

No - thank you! Did I forget to send you a spoon?
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:18 am

I can't wait to order ... been watching this thread ... i wanna get the sample pack ... my crabbie seems to like dried foods instead of anything else unless its egg lol !

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:49 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:

No - thank you! Did I forget to send you a spoon?
Nope, got a spoon and a shell! Great packaging and presentation! Thanks!

vlahosm

Post by vlahosm » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Awesome thread! I’ll start taking pics tomorrow. Tonight we had fresh clam and dried krill, blackberry and pineapple, zucchini corn and broccoli salad, beet root powder, crab exo/crushed egg shell, worm castings, island getaway, and mineral blend. I always keep a variety of leaf litter in the substrate, as well as cuttlebone and coral.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 PPs; Fred, Lionel and Alexander

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:04 pm

vlahosm wrote:Awesome thread! I’ll start taking pics tomorrow. Tonight we had fresh clam and dried krill, blackberry and pineapple, zucchini corn and broccoli salad, beet root powder, crab exo/crushed egg shell, worm castings, island getaway, and mineral blend. I always keep a variety of leaf litter in the substrate, as well as cuttlebone and coral. Image

That sounds like an amazing buffet!! ImageImage

vlahosm

Post by vlahosm » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:17 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
vlahosm wrote:Awesome thread! I’ll start taking pics tomorrow. Tonight we had fresh clam and dried krill, blackberry and pineapple, zucchini corn and broccoli salad, beet root powder, crab exo/crushed egg shell, worm castings, island getaway, and mineral blend. I always keep a variety of leaf litter in the substrate, as well as cuttlebone and coral. Image

We tend to go a little overboard, especially when my five year old helps me. I think I’m like you, and purchased a TON of food form @GotButterflies and a few other places. Plus I love right next store to Whole Foods so I always stop by the salad bar for fresh fruit and veggies. Image

vlahosm

Post by vlahosm » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:18 pm

vlahosm wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:

We tend to go a little overboard, especially when my five year old helps me. I think I’m like you, and purchased a TON of food form @GotButterflies and a few other places. Plus I love right next store to Whole Foods so I always stop by the salad bar for fresh fruit and veggies. Image

*from *live Image