Nightly menu

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Re: Nightly menu

Post by ciaraalston » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:22 pm

vlahosm wrote: We tend to go a little overboard, especially when my five year old helps me. I think I’m like you, and purchased a TON of food form @GotButterflies and a few other places. Plus I love right next store to Whole Foods so I always stop by the salad bar for fresh fruit and veggies. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep! I've got another order steadily adding up for next month!! Image
I WISH we had a whole foods nearby! Image

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

vlahosm

Post by vlahosm » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:23 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
vlahosm wrote: We tend to go a little overboard, especially when my five year old helps me. I think I’m like you, and purchased a TON of food form @GotButterflies and a few other places. Plus I love right next store to Whole Foods so I always stop by the salad bar for fresh fruit and veggies. Image

Yep! I've got another order steadily adding up for next month!! Image
I WISH we had a whole foods nearby! Image

lol. It’s so easy to do!

3 PPs; Fred, Lionel and Alexander

vlahosm

Post by vlahosm » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:08 pm

ImageImage

Lionel was hanging out, waiting for his dinner. Lol. We have blue crab, kale carrot and cabbage, mango, strawberry, coconut oil with spirulina, surf and turf mix, hemp seeds, and egg and clam shells with worm castings.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:21 pm

vlahosm wrote:ImageImage

Lionel was hanging out, waiting for his dinner. Lol. We have blue crab, kale carrot and cabbage, mango, strawberry, coconut oil with spirulina, surf and turf mix, hemp seeds, and egg and clam shells with worm castings.

Is that a normal amount of food you change out nightly? How many crabs do you have eating? I’ve only been putting real small amounts of 2 or 3 items out for mine. I have 3 crabs eating but they don’t seem to eat much at night because there’s still food left in the morning.

vlahosm

Post by vlahosm » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:47 pm

ApePlanet wrote:
vlahosm wrote:ImageImage

Is that a normal amount of food you change out nightly? How many crabs do you have eating? I’ve only been putting real small amounts of 2 or 3 items out for mine. I have 3 crabs eating but they don’t seem to eat much at night because there’s still food left in the morning.
That’s pretty typical. I think the photo is misleading, they are very small amounts of each... like maybe 1/4 tsp. Sometimes, if it’s not too smelly and likely to attract bugs, I’ll leave it for a second day and maybe switch out the protein. I have 3 crabs. But I like to give them options Image

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:57 pm

Tonight the menu is blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, banana, dead crickets, mealworms, ground flaxseed, leaf litter and a calcium pit.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:11 pm

crabby33 wrote:Tonight the menu is blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, banana, dead crickets, mealworms, ground flaxseed, leaf litter and a calcium pit.
Yummy!! I've never tried fresh blueberries. I wonder how mine would like them Image

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:15 pm

I buy mine inorganic because organic is too expensive but they’re fifty eight cents at my local Walmart. I wanted to see if my crabs will eat it. They’ve been very picky lately. Only eating protein and calcium sources and leaf litter so I suspect molts are coming.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:38 am

crabby33 wrote:I buy mine inorganic because organic is too expensive but they’re fifty eight cents at my local Walmart. I wanted to see if my crabs will eat it. They’ve been very picky lately. Only eating protein and calcium sources and leaf litter so I suspect molts are coming.

SAME!!! My calcium dish has been EMPTY everytime i check the tank. I REALLY hope they wait, because we are "hopefully" moving this month and i can't deal with these brats and their impeccable timing. :hlol:

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:16 pm

ciaraalston wrote:
crabby33 wrote:I buy mine inorganic because organic is too expensive but they’re fifty eight cents at my local Walmart. I wanted to see if my crabs will eat it. They’ve been very picky lately. Only eating protein and calcium sources and leaf litter so I suspect molts are coming.

SAME!!! My calcium dish has been EMPTY everytime i check the tank. I REALLY hope they wait, because we are "hopefully" moving this month and i can't deal with these brats and their impeccable timing. :hlol:
Ugh! Mine have been literally sitting in the calci dish also!!! Despite that I refilled their dinner *lid*

A walnut (leftover lol), Florida blue crab, raw organic spirulina honey, mixed wild greens, snake skin (also a left over piece)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Here’s a question that popped in my head: How many varieties of foods/treats should you put in a night? I’m sure there’s not a recommended amount but everyone I see is putting in at least 4. I’ve been doing 2-3 a night mainly because I’ve only seen 2 of my crabs coming out to eat. Who knows where the other 3 are.

I guess this is more of a statement then a question, LOL.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:01 pm

ApePlanet wrote:Here’s a question that popped in my head: How many varieties of foods/treats should you put in a night? I’m sure there’s not a recommended amount but everyone I see is putting in at least 4. I’ve been doing 2-3 a night mainly because I’ve only seen 2 of my crabs coming out to eat. Who knows where the other 3 are.

3-4 items every other night...sometimes even 2 nights before I change out depending on who I saw awake....lately both have been in the calci/mineral dish where I have calcium powder, green sand and worm castings...I’ve tossed a few mealworms or anchovies with it lately since the other dish is at the opposite end of the tank and both have been hovering around the calci dish instead. Both were also on the barnacle last night as well...which happens to ALSO be near the calci dish lol
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:27 pm

I change mine out whenever mold starts growing or fruit flies appear.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:59 pm

ApePlanet wrote:Here’s a question that popped in my head: How many varieties of foods/treats should you put in a night? I’m sure there’s not a recommended amount but everyone I see is putting in at least 4. I’ve been doing 2-3 a night mainly because I’ve only seen 2 of my crabs coming out to eat. Who knows where the other 3 are.

My feeding schedule varies. Some nights they have 4 or 5 items, some nights they only have 2. I just made sure to cover all the sections of the food pyramid. Some mixes have everything so I didn't need other items but I added them because I had them extra.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:08 pm

And I think that’s where I’m just ignorant at this point... not knowing the food groups they should have and having a variety of foods to give them. For some reason I feel you made a post a while ago on the food groups. Really, I have just been trying the different foods I got in my HH order. I only put a little in and they never finish it all (except the air popped popcorn... that never lasts more than a night).