Nightly menu

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

fandt94

Re: Nightly menu

Post by fandt94 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:44 pm

ApePlanet wrote:Random question: is there a better place to place the food dishes in the tank? Mine is near the water pools.
I don’t think it matters. I have the main dish towards the front of the tank and a shell dish in a front corner. I just think it’s easier to get to in mine because of all the stuff I have for hides in the back. I may eventually change it up if and when my two decide to be above ground! Haha
Last edited by fandt94 on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:55 pm

fandt94 wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:Random question: is there a better place to place the food dishes in the tank? Mine is near the water pools.
I don’t think it matters. I have the main dish towards the front of the tank and a shell dish a front corner. I just thin it’s easier to get to in mine because of all the stuff I have for hides in the back.
Thanks!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Mine are in the front of the tank by the wheel. It doesn't really matter I don't think. I try to keep the placement the same every time though. So they know exactly where it is.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:31 pm

fandt94 wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:This is my favorite thread of the week!
Same!! I always look forward to seeing the new comments/posts and getting food ideas
Thanks yall! Image it's fun Image

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 pm

So I’m not creative enough to do a pic like ms Ciara lol so I’ll just list what I’m feeding tonight.

In the regular dish:

Dungeness (sp?) crab exo
Fish bone mix (anchovies, red fish & sardines)
Blue cornmeal
Alfalfa

In a shell dish:

Mealworms
Worm castings

And always in another small shell dish I keep a treat, tonight was just honey.
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:11 pm

fandt94 wrote:So I’m not creative enough to do a pic like ms Ciara lol so I’ll just list what I’m feeding tonight.

In the regular dish:

Dungeness (sp?) crab exo
Fish bone mix (anchovies, red fish & sardines)
Blue cornmeal
Alfalfa

In a shell dish:

Mealworms
Worm castings

And always in another small shell dish I keep a treat, tonight was just honey.
Girl I use Instagram to add the words. Haha! That sounds delicious!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:14 pm

Here's the remains of last night's meal-

And here's tonight's menu-

I've noticed that since I bought these mixes and added the items, they are eating a lot more! I used to be able to leave food in the tank for 2 or 3 days and they still wouldn't finish it all. Now I'm having to add food every night! I'm glad they're finally eating healthy.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:25 pm

ciaraalston wrote:Here's the remains of last night's meal-

I've noticed that since I bought these mixes and added the items, they are eating a lot more! I used to be able to leave food in the tank for 2 or 3 days and they still wouldn't finish it all. Now I'm having to add food every night! I'm glad they're finally eating healthy.

I’ve noticed my two topsiders eating better too! I was starting to feel bad for nothing fresh (as mentioned before...fruit flies) but I’ve noticed more food missing now. I still don’t have to feed every night because it’s just the 2 but I can definitely see they are eating what I’m putting out so that makes me feel good! Both are much more active at night too.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 pm

Hey y'all! So, last night's meal was DEMOLISHED!! they only had a few flowers left, but I had one eating on it so I left it in the tank one more night.

Here's tonight's meal! It's a little skimpy because the crabby meal deal from Hermit Crab Patch has SO MUCH in it that I didnt need to supplement much. I'm making another order in a month so I'll grab a couple more items to add in on the nights that don't have a lot.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:35 am

fandt94 wrote:

I’ve noticed my two topsiders eating better too! I was starting to feel bad for nothing fresh (as mentioned before...fruit flies) but I’ve noticed more food missing now. I still don’t have to feed every night because it’s just the 2 but I can definitely see they are eating what I’m putting out so that makes me feel good! Both are much more active at night too.
Was the flowers/color booster a purchased or hand-crafted by you mix?

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:37 am

ApePlanet wrote:
fandt94 wrote:

Was the flowers/color booster a purchased or hand-crafted by you mix?
It's some items I bought from Hermies Kitchen that I threw together in a bag. I forget what all is in there. They never really enjoyed the food from Hermies Kitchen..
**not trying to give a bad review the store is great. They just didn't eat it well

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:04 am

So, here's the remains of the last two meals.

They actually ate more than i expected!

They absolutely LOVED this one!!!! Barely anything left!

Now, I was supposed to feed them last night. But a lot happened, so I fed them this morning. I also changed out their calcium dish as well. Here's the kicker, I FOUND NEW FEEDING BOWLS !! I had seen folks use something like this but I could never find them. I FINALLY found them, and in the best spot.......... DOLLAR TREE!!!!! Here's the packaging if anyone wants to check their local dollar tree

And here's the meal-

I can't wait to see how they like the new buffet bowls, and island getaway mix is one they've never tried! I hope they like it! (Who am I kidding? They LOVE literally EVERYTHING from @GotButterflies storeImage)

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:11 pm

ciaraalston wrote:So, here's the remains of the last two meals.

They actually ate more than i expected!

They absolutely LOVED this one!!!! Barely anything left!

Now, I was supposed to feed them last night. But a lot happened, so I fed them this morning. I also changed out their calcium dish as well. Here's the kicker, I FOUND NEW FEEDING BOWLS !! I had seen folks use something like this but I could never find them. I FINALLY found them, and in the best spot.......... DOLLAR TREE!!!!! Here's the packaging if anyone wants to check their local dollar tree

And here's the meal-

I can't wait to see how they like the new buffet bowls, and island getaway mix is one they've never tried! I hope they like it! (Who am I kidding? They LOVE literally EVERYTHING from @GotButterflies storeImage)

I really like the new family style buffet bowls. If I had more room in my tat I’d try that out. Can’t wait for the results! (I feel like Ryan Seacrest saying this) “Dim the lights!”

TomatoaSebastien

Post by TomatoaSebastien » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:43 pm

I love this!!!!

You have inspired me.... I have been feeding alot of fresh organic foods but don't really see them eating a lot, definitely not like your guys!

I ordered a bunch of mixes from Hermit Crab Patch, I can't hardly wait to offer them a nice variety, like you have done!

Hoping it gets here shortly!!

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:10 pm

Question to all you fantastic people: With such a wide menu, how do you store your crab food and treats. I just know you’ll have some genius ways to share!