Nightly menu

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Re: Nightly menu

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:52 pm

crabby33 wrote:I just scored some freeze dried mealworms and freeze dried crickets from Walmart since my crabs prefer to forage.
Awesome! I got a big container from petco. It saves $$ in the long run Image

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:53 pm

fandt94 wrote:Leaf litter... Sometimes i scatter wildflowers also... Ive seen all mine take part here and there

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Yeah, I have some wild flowers in the alfalfa hay mix I found. I have to take them out though because if they get wet, they start to mold after a few days. But my crabs love them!

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:10 am

No pics but in a large shell dish I consider more of every night Staples now.. Worm castings, green sand, mealworms. In the normal dish, surf n turf mix, cracked corn, another basic diet mix, and then a dessert of coconut, honey and a fruit mix

Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:11 am

The green sand was ALL gone!
GotButterflies wrote:It was probably both @fandt94! Both of those items are hits in all of my tanks! :)
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:15 am

I've got green sand in my cart for next order
@GotButterflies, do you keep it as a staple in the tank or occasional?

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:18 am

I bought the green sand on a whim with my first order and rarely used it... I'm definitely putting it in there more often. Maybe not every night but it's going to be available more often I think. Seems to be a go to... For mine at least
ciaraalston wrote:I've got green sand in my cart for next order Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:18 am

ciaraalston wrote:I've got green sand in my cart for next order Image

I keep greensand in all the time. I keep in in with my calcium dish. (I have a dish for this)
I also keep worm castings in all of the time. :) (I have a dish for this)

I feed my crabs in individual shells :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:18 pm

ciaraalston wrote:Sorry for the late responses!! I've got a lot going on with work and honestly i feel like I'm sleep walking thru this month!

So here's the after math of the last meal I posted:

They didn't seem to like the cracked freekeh as much. And the wild salmon wasn't a total hit, but they did eat some so I'm excited about that. I left this meal in for 2 days to make sure they got all they wanted.

Here's tonight's meal:

Note: I have a dish with worm castings, calcium powders, and oyster shells in the tank at all times. But when it needs changing/cleaning and I'm busy, I just add enough for the night to their meal and wash the dish and add it back to the tank the next morning when I get home from work.

Thanks for being patient! Image

Where can i get calcium powder prob a dumb question but ??

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Also oyster shell powder where do u get that and is there a certain one ? ... didnt t realize thread was so long sorry

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:32 pm

Hermie escape artist wrote:Also oyster shell powder where do u get that and is there a certain one ? ... didnt t realize thread was so long sorry

I get the honey coral calcium powder from the hermit crab patch, they love it!
Oyster shells and other calcium powders you can get from TheHealthyHermit on etsy! That's where all this food came from Image

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:49 pm

So, they didn't like the cochneal. Didn't touch it. But they enjoyed everything else it looks like. Especially the popcorn mixes from THCP! Those are treats mostly haha

Here's tonight's meal-

Raspberry ice cream treat: fresh organic raspberries, honey, and calcium powder. Grind it up and freeze. Image

This is the last meal in the rotation!! I hope that y'all enjoyed this thread and that it helped out with a review of my order from the healthy hermit but also gave food ideas!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:05 pm

Wow - cochineal disappears in my tank! Put it in your calcium dish - just don't throw it away!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:06 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Wow - cochineal disappears in my tank! Put it in your calcium dish - just don't throw it away!
Awesome! I'm glad I can reuse it, hopefully they come around to it later Image

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:43 pm

ciaraalston wrote:

Raspberry ice cream treat: fresh organic raspberries, honey, and calcium powder. Grind it up and freeze. Image

This is the last meal in the rotation!! I hope that y'all enjoyed this thread and that it helped out with a review of my order from the healthy hermit but also gave food ideas!!

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread! You should make a new one haha

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:56 pm

fandt94 wrote:
ciaraalston wrote:

I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread! You should make a new one haha
Haha, don't worry I'll have a thread about my 100 gallon tote build! I always need professionals to check over my work Image