What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2017~

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.
Locked

Topic author
Hollym2247
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:42 pm

What's on today's menu & recipe sharing ~2017~

Post by Hollym2247 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:19 am

Got them some freeze dried river shrimp and a cuttlebone for Christmas. That, fresh apples and seaweed have all been hits lately. Coconut, walnuts and honey, still not so much.

User avatar

LadyJinglyJones
Posts: 2130
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:01 pm
Location: The 6ix, Ontario, Canada

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Woo!
So, because my friends and family all resoundingly and firmly refused to get crissmuss presents for my crabs - even though I insisted they were like my children - I had to go get what I wanted myself. (In a blatant show of phylum-ism, my mother did get a new cave for my gecko. Who never does anything but sleep all day. And has three caves already. I am shaking my head. Vertibrates get all the love.)

But I digress - the short of it is, that I picked up a coffee grinder for my babies yesterday!

So I ground up some dried insect medley, added a couple of butter worms who had died before they got to the gecko, and popped it in. They definately prefer ground to whole, and spent more time feeding from the dish than when I left the bugs whole.

They also got fresh plum, some coconut oil I picked up for them, some dried white mulberries from the local hippy-mart, arame seaweed, and green pepper. Also canned salmon and basil. The ground insects were the biggest hit.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

User avatar

kieagcarm
Posts: 973
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:55 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by kieagcarm » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:51 pm

Well this was yesterday's menu, crushed craw fish body, claw, bass powdered mix they love, fresh mango, raspberry and blueberriesImage then the organic-nothing-but-peanuts peanut butterImage Yeti on break from feasting
Image
Peanut butter huge hit, bellatrix and Yeti still eating itImage
Last edited by kieagcarm on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

User avatar

LadyJinglyJones
Posts: 2130
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:01 pm
Location: The 6ix, Ontario, Canada

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:07 pm

@kieagcarm - looks like a fab feast.

What is bass powder, and from whence does it originate??
I want some even if I don't know what it is.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(


Just Jay
Posts: 944
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:58 am
Location: New Orleans LA

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Just Jay » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Base powder is usually a name of a fruit and veggie mix dry base. So you only have to add a protein. At least for dogs and cats but im sure is the same since I've seen it on sites like hcp and such. Even for other small animals. Ive even seen a few members make their own. When i first started or have a busy schedule i will do a couple; so i can leave it in the tank longer [day or so more than usual] and to make feeding quick. Only down is you can repeat things so you should supplement raw foods as well or have different bases with different fruits/veggies.

Im sure you could make your own with your new grinder!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

User avatar

LadyJinglyJones
Posts: 2130
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:01 pm
Location: The 6ix, Ontario, Canada

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:18 pm

Awwwwsome! Thanks.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

User avatar

Crabinski
Posts: 1980
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:56 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Crabinski » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:07 pm

As all three crabs are up, they were served a nice selection of food tonight and two of three have been chomping away (Big Enzo is usually up later on). They received crushed dried shrimp, flax meal, worm castings, dried coconut, crumbled fruit trail mix and dried crabapple/fireweed/strawberry leaves.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

User avatar

kieagcarm
Posts: 973
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:55 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by kieagcarm » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:37 pm

LadyJinglyJones wrote:@kieagcarm - looks like a fab feast.

What is bass powder, and from whence does it originate??
I want some even if I don't know what it is.
PetGardens on etsy, I got 1 whole crayfish for $1, Bird feathers for $1, 1 hard boiled egg for $1(it actually came crushed up in powder form), and Powdered Bass Mix for $2.25, plus she sent me a bag of crab meat and a bag of tropical treat(no clue what's in it but it's 6 big chunks of something dark) and shipping was only $4.30, totaling $9.55! The bass mix is in a decently big Ziploc rectangle bag. I took pics, in my 20g tank post.

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
Last edited by kieagcarm on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."

User avatar

kieagcarm
Posts: 973
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:55 pm
Location: Pittsburgh PA

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by kieagcarm » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:40 pm

Just Jay wrote:Base powder is usually a name of a fruit and veggie mix dry base. So you only have to add a protein. At least for dogs and cats but im sure is the same since I've seen it on sites like hcp and such. Even for other small animals. Ive even seen a few members make their own. When i first started or have a busy schedule i will do a couple; so i can leave it in the tank longer [day or so more than usual] and to make feeding quick. Only down is you can repeat things so you should supplement raw foods as well or have different bases with different fruits/veggies.

Im sure you could make your own with your new grinder!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Powdered Bass from PetGardens on etsy, not base

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
"Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions."


Just Jay
Posts: 944
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:58 am
Location: New Orleans LA

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Just Jay » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:32 am

kieagcarm wrote:
Just Jay wrote:Base powder is usually a name of a fruit and veggie mix dry base. So you only have to add a protein. At least for dogs and cats but im sure is the same since I've seen it on sites like hcp and such. Even for other small animals. Ive even seen a few members make their own. When i first started or have a busy schedule i will do a couple; so i can leave it in the tank longer [day or so more than usual] and to make feeding quick. Only down is you can repeat things so you should supplement raw foods as well or have different bases with different fruits/veggies.

Im sure you could make your own with your new grinder!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Powdered Bass from PetGardens on etsy, not base

Sent from my C5215 using Tapatalk
im so sorry im completely over read that!


Just Jay
Posts: 944
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:58 am
Location: New Orleans LA

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Just Jay » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:41 am

went a little crazy as i cleaned and redid the tank. also since i got some new foods and things for the crabs in.

scallop one:
HCP grains and greens mix with meal worms and super worm casings.

scallop two:
rabbit poop and coconut (poop was a huge hit with Uu he even moved the coconut out of the way to get at the poop...and coconut is almost always his favorite)

scallop three:
calcium powder, egg protein, and dog treats. (that are only barley, blueberries and peanut butter)

also add an area of pyramid calcium shells and egg shells. then a new shell shop made of hermit safe wood and i put some apple sticks in and some millet sticks along with their pink salt crystal.

User avatar

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 6502
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:04 am

Bass is a freshwater fish


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com


Topic author
Hollym2247
Posts: 126
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:42 pm

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Hollym2247 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:20 pm

Just took out leftover gulf shrimp, seaweed, apples and walnuts. Today, eggshell with membranes and some egg white, apples,carrot strips and a potato sliver.


Cumba
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:09 pm

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Cumba » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:05 pm

Today is feast day!! (the one day a week when I have 2 hours to make them something delicious as appose to whatever is in the fridge)

Broccoli
Carrot
Sweet Potato
Mealworms
Bloodworms
Rice (brown,cooked)
Parsley
Almonds
Sunflower Seeds

These crabs eat better than I do. But what did I expect? :wink:

User avatar

LadyJinglyJones
Posts: 2130
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:01 pm
Location: The 6ix, Ontario, Canada

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:29 am

Cumba wrote: These crabs eat better than I do. But what did I expect? :wink:
Haha, I think a lot of us can say that... I'll be mixing up organic puffed quinoa with fresh veg & salmon for my crabbabies, only to pour myself a bowl of cereal for diner 10 minutes later. :roll:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Locked