Live Mealworms

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
doth

Live Mealworms

Post by doth » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:14 pm

Has anyone else found that their crabs go CRAZY for live mealworms? Every time I leave some out the dish is totally empty the next morning, and one time they even dragged it halfway across the tat to the entrance of one of their hides. It makes me happy, like they are hunting and foraging the way they would in the wild.

Are there other live insects pple have had success with?? We have a dubia roach colony at work I could snag a few babies from if they'd eat those...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Live Mealworms

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:25 pm

Are you positive they are all getting eaten? Live mealworms can crawl out of the dish, bury and become beetles. I personally would refrain from feeding any live bugs...but, that is me.

Edit: My crabs love dead dubia roaches, but I would once again never feed live.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

RiNiKy506

Live Mealworms

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:27 pm

I’ve never tried them, I know they won’t eat the dried ones unless I crush them up for them. I’ve never been a “bug” person but I’ve been surprising myself with what I’ll actually do for them. I just bought some live mealworm dishes at a local pet store bc they were on clearance and I thought they would make good bowls for other things, I’ll have to actually put some live mealworms in there for them. One of my friends said her crabs eat her isopods. Do you have any isopods in your tank?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:34 pm

Please DON'T put live mealworms in your tank! It can turn disastrous...
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:40 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Please DON'T put live mealworms in your tank! It can turn disastrous...
Oh ok, thank you GotButterflies. Image

Topic author
doth

Post by doth » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:54 pm

hmm I was worried about that! I thought mealworms couldn't climb though?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:03 pm

I have seen them get out of those little dishes with no problems. My box turtle loves them!

Topic author
doth

Post by doth » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:12 pm

GotButterflies wrote:I have seen them get out of those little dishes with no problems. My box turtle loves them!
oh jeez! well I will hold off and wait to be creeped out by beetles I guess Image

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:23 pm

LOL!!! If you see beetles, they will come out at night. Remove asap, or they will breed!

Topic author
doth

Post by doth » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:26 pm

GotButterflies wrote:LOL!!! If you see beetles, they will come out at night. Remove asap, or they will breed!
good to know!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:36 pm

:)

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:57 pm

I've done it several times, usually one crab crawls in and double claws the entire bowl.

Mealworms aren't much to worry about in a crab tank, they don't bury deep, they aren't known for going after live creatures, and they do very poorly in humidity as they are a desert species.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
doth

Post by doth » Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:47 pm

wodesorel wrote:I've done it several times, usually one crab crawls in and double claws the entire bowl.

Mealworms aren't much to worry about in a crab tank, they don't bury deep, they aren't known for going after live creatures, and they do very poorly in humidity as they are a desert species.
ok, so they may actually be eating them like I'd hoped! that's good lol. I'll wait awhile to see if any beetles emerge before I introduce any more just to be on the safe side. glad to hear that they likely wouldn't thrive in the tat!