Proteins?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Xenocrab

Proteins?

Post by Xenocrab » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:14 pm

Are bugs the same proteins as cows, pigs and chickens?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5 store bought, 6 rescues and 7 adopted.

Overmountain1

Re: Proteins?

Post by Overmountain1 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:05 am

It does count as an animal protein for humans, if I’m remembering right! So yes and no I suppose! I’m so helpful.

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:52 am

Overmountain1 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:05 am
It does count as an animal protein for humans, if I’m remembering right! So yes and no I suppose! I’m so helpful. Image

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

:hlol:
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

JoeHermits

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:52 pm

If by that you mean a complete range of amino acids, then yes.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4616300013

If anything, their high feed conversion rates, rapid reproduction rates, tolerance of crowded conditions, and lower amounts of carbon emissions makes them more environmentally sustainable, as well.

I would fully support eating more insects if they were more readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:18 pm

JoeHermits wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:52 pm
If by that you mean a complete range of amino acids, then yes.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 4616300013

If anything, their high feed conversion rates, rapid reproduction rates, tolerance of crowded conditions, and lower amounts of carbon emissions makes them more environmentally sustainable, as well.

I would fully support eating more insects if they were more readily available.

I don't remember seeing insects sold by hermit crab sellers on etsy. Where would I get them?
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:20 pm

Thank you, Joe! That's what I needed to know. What I wanted to know was if bugs, which are plentiful were a good source of the nutrition they need. In the wild, I'm guessing they wouldn't be eating chicken, lamb, cows and pigs on a daily basis.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5 store bought, 6 rescues and 7 adopted.

JoeHermits

Post by JoeHermits » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:23 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: I don't remember seeing insects sold by hermit crab sellers on etsy. Where would I get them?
I believe The Healthy Hermit offered insects (the store is on break right now). I think I remember seeing crickets, grasshoppers, and mealworms.

I thought there were others offering insects, too.

If all else fails, pet shops offer live and dehydrated insects.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:31 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote: I don't remember seeing insects sold by hermit crab sellers on etsy. Where would I get them?
You can get a lot of protein rich foods on The Hermit Crab Patch. I also just bought freeze dried crickets and grasshoppers on Amazon. ImageImage

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
"Animals are my friends, and I don’t eat my friends".
-George Bernard Shaw

shreya31

Post by shreya31 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:04 am

Excellent thread..!!!

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:17 am

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:31 pm
You can get a lot of protein rich foods on The Hermit Crab Patch. I also just bought freeze dried crickets and grasshoppers on Amazon. ImageImage

I do already have freeze dried crickets. But I know there must be more insects. I find them in my house. Flies, spiders, mosquitos...

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:26 am

Hermiesguardian wrote: I do already have freeze dried crickets. But I know there must be more insects. I find them in my house. Flies, spiders, mosquitos...
Have you tried bloodworms? I buy them for my fish in the aquarium section, but the crabs love them too. They also like the baby shrimp I buy for my fish. They are both freeze dried and no preservatives.

My Pets: 1 Pomeranian, 1 Russian tortoise, fishes/snails(40 gal freshwater aquarium), and 4 hermit crabs.
-George Bernard Shaw

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:28 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:26 am
Have you tried bloodworms? I buy them for my fish in the aquarium section, but the crabs love them too. They also like the baby shrimp I buy for my fish. They are both freeze dried and no preservatives.

I give them bloodworms, mealworms.

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:00 am

Hermiesguardian wrote: I give them bloodworms, mealworms.
That's awesome. Mine love mealworms too. I always have to be careful handling the bloodworms though. If I forget to wash my hands after and touch my face, my eyes and area around my eyes get itchy and red. Image

-George Bernard Shaw

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:22 am

I do offer a wide range of insects, and yes, I am on break :) You can find insects in the reptile sections of the pet stores as well :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com