Xanthan Gum?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Overmountain1

Xanthan Gum?

Post by Overmountain1 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:49 pm

I know it comes from the outer layer of bacterium, and is used as a thickener etc. I was curious if it was safe for these guys or...? Didn’t see it on either list and couldn’t find it thru a search. Thanks for any input!

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!

gunstreet.girl

Re: Xanthan Gum?

Post by gunstreet.girl » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:14 pm

I can’t personally think of any reason why it would be considered unsafe, based on the method of production, the ingredients from which it’s derived, and the relatively minuscule quantity that’s included in any given recipe (1/8th tsp of this stuff goes a long way.. i’ve had the same small bag of it in my freezer for probably at least 6 years, and i’m nowhere near having to re-stock).

Xanthan gum is being used as a thickener by Pangea in its newer crested gecko diet blends, and they’re one of a small handful of companies which I trust when I buy pre-made foods for my animals (my hermit crabs occasionally get some of the Pangea and Repashy smoothies as a treat). I’m not equating cresties with LHCs, but they’re both sensitive little beasties.

That said, i’m curious to hear others’ opinions on the subject, and will be following this thread :)

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:36 pm

I also don’t see why it would be unsafe. I think it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Overmountain1

Post by Overmountain1 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:16 pm

Thanks! I thought along the same lines but it’s always good to have a second (and more experienced) opinion!! I appreciate it.

Dave the Wondercrab~Pat~Maggie~ Billy~Pop~Corn~Ten~Sam~MissTeri~Tim~Gene~ Barry~Mr S~Princess + 5 Es + Mr EnDoh =my crabby clan!