Chlorella (Spirulina); safe/unsafe?

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Kydra

Chlorella (Spirulina); safe/unsafe?

Post by Kydra » Sat May 16, 2020 3:44 pm

I have read on here a while ago that Spirulina is a favorite with some crabs. My mother somehow purchased vitamins that she gave to me a month or so ago, but just haven't had the time to check the safe food list or post about this.

I will attach a picture; I have not opened yet, but as tablets I'm thinking could just open up the split is 50/50. I did check the safe food list and did not see Chlorella. This definitely gave me pause... so thought I'd post and ask.

I'm still hesitant since I have strictly followed the safe food list, but would be a change in diet if it is safe. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kydra

Re: Chlorella (Spirulina); safe/unsafe?

Post by Kydra » Sat May 16, 2020 4:22 pm

OK... Assumed they'd be capsules so just was going to use a bottle cap for now depending on the replies here.

They are tablets (says it on the first picture lol), solid green color so just crushed a few and put in a bottle cap as mentioned.

Will leave outside of tank until I get some more direction... I do have a wyze cam so was going to see how they do with it if safe hence the bottle cap method for now if no issue with the tablets. Thanks again!Image

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sat May 16, 2020 6:13 pm

Chlorella is a type of microalgae. I see no reason why it wouldn’t be safe. Same goes for spirulina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kydra

Post by Kydra » Sat May 16, 2020 6:20 pm

JoeHermits wrote:Chlorella is a type of microalgae. I see no reason why it wouldn’t be safe. Same goes for spirulina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! I did a bit more research and saw both for sale in powdered form as HC food.

Wasn't sure about crushing the tablets, but that's the only 2 ingredients listed and didn't notice any type of coating as are on many meds so it's in there now. Will keep an eye on the camera tonight to see the interest in it.

Appreciate it! Image

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Sat May 16, 2020 10:58 pm

I would also consider this safe. I offer my crabs spirulina all the time. It comes as an extremely fine powder. I usually sprinkle it on top of their foods like you would salt and pepper your foods.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities