Few questions about food, feeding and storage

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Topic author
Links

Few questions about food, feeding and storage

Post by Links » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:00 am

I could use some advice on feeding. It takes me about 45 minutes to prepare food every time I change food, depending on how many things I put in. Sometimes it takes longer. I guess I’m slow anyway lol.

I have meats, fruits and vegetables in the freezer. I do my best to rotate but also provide a variety for each feeding. I get each item and cut off a little piece or two then add it to the dish or shell in my case. Rinsing and wiping the knife with a paper towel between each item. I have some things dehydrated In the freezer As well and those are easier because they’re already broken into pieces. But I have them in separate baggies.

I’m starting to consider making mixes so I can just scoop out a portion from one container but I suppose all the ingredients would need to be dehydrated. Sounds like i just need to buy from the awesome sellers around here! But I’d like to make my own as well.

As for the plant matter like calendula, dulse, kelp, spirulina, rose petals, seaweed, cattapa leaves, (organic trail mix: nuts , seeds, raisens, dried apple), (bugs: dried baby shrimp, dried bloodworms, dried crickets, dried mealworms, dried grasshoppers), also bee pollen, worm castings, green sand, cuttle bone, calcium powder, flower food topper, reptile munchies vegetable mix, dehydrated brine shrimp w spirulina, dehydrated reef frenzy, etc, .... I bought from health food store, pet stores and online. I keep the health food store items in separate baggies as well as all those items above in my basement under the crabitat. Also not sure that’s the best way to store those items. But I take out a little bit of each one I add because they’re all stored separate.

I’m busy with too many work hours and want as much time with family and kids As possible. I enjoy the crab thing but how can I streamline this process? What do you all do? And am I storing anything incorrectly? I’m getting the feeling some or most things should be Kept frozen.

Any help is much appreciated and Happy 4th of July!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Few questions about food, feeding and storage

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:45 am

Hello! Happy 4th of July!

I personally make mixes for my crabs. I myself am too busy and have too many animals, people and plants to take care of to prepare fresh foods for ALL of my hermies on a daily basis. By making mixes I am able to make sure that I cover all of the food groups covered in the food pyramid. I personally have a series of containers (15) and I make mixes so my crabbies have a different variety every day for two weeks. I make a months worth of food at a time.

In addition to this, I will offer fresh food when I am preparing things for our family. This makes my life much easier. The things I prepare for my family are considered bonus foods, as I have already met their food pyramid needs in the dry mixes I prepared for them.

In addition to this, for my crabs I offer the following items at all times: Leaf litter, wood sticks, greensand, calcium mixes, worm castings.

This is what works for me. :)

If you prefer to offer fresh foods, you could cut up things before hand and freeze them into ice cube trays. You can also do organic baby food into ice cube trays.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Links

Post by Links » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:05 am

GotButterflies wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:45 am
Hello! Happy 4th of July!

I personally make mixes for my crabs. I myself am too busy and have too many animals, people and plants to take care of to prepare fresh foods for ALL of my hermies on a daily basis. By making mixes I am able to make sure that I cover all of the food groups covered in the food pyramid. I personally have a series of containers (15) and I make mixes so my crabbies have a different variety every day for two weeks. I make a months worth of food at a time.

In addition to this, I will offer fresh food when I am preparing things for our family. This makes my life much easier. The things I prepare for my family are considered bonus foods, as I have already met their food pyramid needs in the dry mixes I prepared for them.

In addition to this, for my crabs I offer the following items at all times: Leaf litter, wood sticks, greensand, calcium mixes, worm castings.

This is what works for me. :)

If you prefer to offer fresh foods, you could cut up things before hand and freeze them into ice cube trays. You can also do organic baby food into ice cube trays.

Awesome!!! Thank you so much.

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:07 am

What is an example mix you make? (If you don't mind sharing)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:12 am

Everytime I make my mixes I do them different. I have a store, so I just pull out all of my proteins, fruits, seeds, veggies, flowers, etc and make a mix that contains a minimum 2-3 of each! I have a lot of items! Also, don't make them all powered.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

MauiMama

Post by MauiMama » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:28 am

Gotcha, very cool! I bet you have some happy crabbies with such a delicious variety!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

•°☆~♡~☆°• MauiMama•°☆~♡~☆°•

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:16 pm

I do, thank you! :) They breed every year :)