What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

For any and all questions about feeding, diet and different foods. Questions and posts about purchasing from stores should be made in the Shopping section.

Crabby in NJ

Re: What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by Crabby in NJ » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:22 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:23 pm
Looks yummy! What lucky crabs! Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
How much do they actually eat vs what u throw away?
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:32 pm

It is hit and miss with them. On occasion they will clean out a few of the compartments in the flower shaped dish. Other things will barely be touched. The leaf litter pot sees a lot of action but usually about half gets tossed. The calcium and poop dishes they usually eat about half. This go around I only had 4 of 7 crabs up so there was more waste than normal. 3/4's of the pinky was gone though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

nataliextodd

What's on today's menu & recipe sharing

Post by nataliextodd » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 pm

On my crabs plate tonight: dried mango, dried banana, dried apple, dried apricot, dried mealworms, dried crickets, dried grasshopper, fresh killed dubia roaches, fresh killed mealworm, oyster shell, lobster shell, crab shell, coconut flour, greensand, kelp powder, flax seed, chia seed, hempseed, quinoa, red quinoa and worm castings. Never too many options Image

Last edited by nataliextodd on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crabby in NJ

Post by Crabby in NJ » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:47 am

nataliextodd wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:17 pm
On my crabs plate tonight: dried mango, dried banana, dried apple, dried apricot, dried mealworms, dried crickets, dried grasshopper, fresh killed dubia roaches, fresh killed mealworm, oyster shell, lobster shell, crab shell, coconut flour, greensand, kelp powder, flax seed, chia seed, hempseed, quinoa, red quinoa and worm castings. Never too many options 😂
Wow! Lucky crabbies!
Crabbing with my son now! My my, how things have changed!

Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:04 pm

Until I can get a second to order stuff from Etsy: dried and moist river shrimp, almonds, possibly chia seeds (and grapes from groceries this week), a little bit of blueberries (almost out, have to go shopping), some dried apple, cranberry, and mango, honey calcium supplement from Fluker's (they're all pigs for that stuff!), and a little bit of Fluker's "premium" diet! Can't wait to order some stuff from Etsy with new hammock/ climbing net and cholla wood (Color Booster, pineapple treat, Chicken Fajita Night from Maddamay's store...).
Bon appetit, my pigs! Mwah!
("moOm, where's the cool stuff all the other hermies get? The COOL ones? Their parents make them powder fruit and stuff!"
"Well, they're spoiled!"
"And we aren't?"
"Got me there...")
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

angelbear

Post by angelbear » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:38 am

Last night my crabs had:
Mango,banana,papaya powdered smoothie (which they decimaited)
A little bit of cooked beef (also gone)
A small water bottle cap full of cold pressed olive oil (about half gone)
Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

craboloading

Post by craboloading » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:26 pm

Dish one : raspberry, cauliflower, dried mealworms, dried calendula, cauliflower, shrimp exo, and almond slivers
Dish two (all new foods that came in from Hermie's Kitchen today!) : orchard grass hay, nori seaweed, green sand, and dried squid

I got loads of other things in my order...can't wait to feed them to the crabbos! Lots of different seaweeds/seaweed powders as that was completely missing from their diet. Just so stoked. :D
3 PPs: Beacon the Two Pound Crab of Light and Purity & Scuttles the Shadow Crab of Darkness and Desparity ~ 2/10/19 and Felicity Crab-19 ~ 5/24/20
1 Orange Cat: Chloe Hannah ~ 4/2015

Links

Post by Links » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:29 am

If I can remember everything:
Frozen Crab meat + exo
Dried Mealworms
Dried Grasshopper
Sunflower seeds
Pumpkin seeds
Peanuts
Chia seeds
Brazil nut
Cuttle bone
Seaweed
Dried veggies for turtles:
Corn, peas, carrots, Bock Choy,
Frozen organic fruits n veggies:
Coconut, Strawberries, pineapple, Corn, Green beans, Peas
Squash, broccoli.

One organic popcorn kernel popped sprinkled with spirulina (this is the only thing I can tell was eaten)

Live Mosses, live lichen, oak and ash bark, oak leaves, rose of Sharon seed pods, small piece of magnolia leaf, I think magnolia bark as well.

Calendula, raspberry leaves, elderberries, elderberry flowers, chamomile, dandelion root

No idea what was eaten besides the popcorn with spirulina.

Edit: forgot to add worm castings .

craboloading

Post by craboloading » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:07 pm

Fresh Food Dish: red bell pepper, mushroom, broccoli stalks, coconut oil, and shrimp exo
Dry Food Dish: Hermie's Kitchen color booster mix, green sand, crushed oyster shell, snake skin, Hermit Crab Patch staple diet, spirulina powder, blue pea flower powder, and snake skin

Plus the usual cuttlebone and cork pieces they are munching on. Love the nights I switch out the food bowls. :)
3 PPs: Beacon the Two Pound Crab of Light and Purity & Scuttles the Shadow Crab of Darkness and Desparity ~ 2/10/19 and Felicity Crab-19 ~ 5/24/20

w h a l e b o n e

Post by w h a l e b o n e » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:45 am

craboloading wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:07 pm
Fresh Food Dish: red bell pepper, mushroom, broccoli stalks, coconut oil, and shrimp exo
Dry Food Dish: Hermie's Kitchen color booster mix, green sand, crushed oyster shell, snake skin, Hermit Crab Patch staple diet, spirulina powder, blue pea flower powder, and snake skin

Plus the usual cuttlebone and cork pieces they are munching on. Love the nights I switch out the food bowls. :)
Ooh, snakeskin! Where do you get that?

I mostly just feed them whatever I can come up with in the fridge :crabblush:

CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 pm

Motörcrab wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:32 pm
It is hit and miss with them. On occasion they will clean out a few of the compartments in the flower shaped dish. Other things will barely be touched. The leaf litter pot sees a lot of action but usually about half gets tossed. The calcium and poop dishes they usually eat about half. This go around I only had 4 of 7 crabs up so there was more waste than normal. 3/4's of the pinky was gone though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
What do you mean by pinky?

angelbear

Post by angelbear » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:08 am

CrabbyChelle628 wrote: What do you mean by pinky?
A pinky is a baby mouse

Sent from my LML414DL using Tapatalk

Hi, I have been crabbing about 7 now, and these guys have put up alot with my growing pains.
Proud mama of 2 shell babies:
1 e, and 1pp

CrabbyChelle628

Post by CrabbyChelle628 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:31 pm

That's what I thought but I wasn't sure

craboloading

Post by craboloading » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:04 pm

w h a l e b o n e wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:45 am
Ooh, snakeskin! Where do you get that?

I mostly just feed them whatever I can come up with in the fridge :crabblush:
I bought a tiny bag from Hermie's Kitchen. :)

I do lots of food from the fridge myself. But do try to make sure to have random treats/items around to make their diet more well rounded and realistic. Seaweed, leaf litter, snakeskin/bugs, etc

RayLovesHermits

Post by RayLovesHermits » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:29 pm

Really basic because I ran out of meat Strawberries, carrots, and high commercial pellets