(Belatedly) Showing off my Upgrade ... and Seeking Suggesti

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: (Belatedly) Showing off my Upgrade ... and Seeking Sugg

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Egads...@Hermiesguardian I meant ***WOULDN'T... not would. Sorry! Bad typo there!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:23 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Egads...@Hermiesguardian I meant ***WOULDN'T... not would. Sorry! Bad typo there!
:lol: I knew what you meant. Unless sticky tape had been added to the good food list.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:26 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
@Jclee - I love your background! Can't wait to see new pics of your tank now that it is redone with your new crabs also!! :)
I took some photos today, just for you. I had a moment of panic when I thought I'd found a dead crab, but it was just a large chunk of an apple that one of the big guys had dragged into a hide. Unfortunately, everyone is napping at the moment. I was able to get a picture of one that is moving around in a new shell, and I took a picture of the hanging basket where most of them prefer to lounge on top of each other. I will try to get some more pictures once the crabs are moving around again.

Now that I have four different sizes of crabs, I have the stock even more available shells just to keep everybody happy, so you will see a lot of shells strewn along the ground, as well as in the Shell Shacks.ImageImageImage
You can see my critters here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:41 am

That looks great! Thanks for the update! I’m surprised that your crabs like murex shells so much! I’ve never had one change into one! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:29 pm

GotButterflies wrote:That looks great! Thanks for the update! I’m surprised that your crabs like murex shells so much! I’ve never had one change into one! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the crabs get bigger, your murex becomes more affordable than turbos. Also, turbos get quite heavy as they get larger, so some of the crabs prefer a lighter shell.

It's hard to get a sense of scale without a real reference in these pictures, but these are some of the new adoptees (in the land snail shells), alongside their new, bigger siblings. ImageImage

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:52 pm

I love the new tank, Jclee! :D (Not sure what everyone prefers to be called, so until I'm sure, I'll stick with full usernames. :P ) Your hermits are very cute! :) I'm amazed at how many shells you have - I'm having a very hard time finding shells for my two.
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:10 pm

I order mine from online websites. I think there is a list of suggested sites somewhere on HCA, but I can't find it on the tap talk app.

I think I ordered my last batch from a site called U.S. Shells Inc. They would not be so good unless you are ordering in bulk. I have also used Sea Shell City, I think. I gave up on trying to buy shells in person a long time ago.

I have 10 crabs, and I try to provide three size appropriate options for each crab. I also rotate once a week, just to provide some environmental enrichment. The crabs like to explore new options whenever they come along.

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:21 pm

jclee wrote:I order mine from online websites. I think there is a list of suggested sites somewhere on HCA, but I can't find it on the tap talk app.

I think I ordered my last batch from a site called U.S. Shells Inc. They would not be so good unless you are ordering in bulk. I have also used Sea Shell City, I think. I gave up on trying to buy shells in person a long time ago.

I have 10 crabs, and I try to provide three size appropriate options for each crab. I also rotate once a week, just to provide some environmental enrichment. The crabs like to explore new options whenever they come along.
I've been looking on Amazon, since we can get free shipping, and the shipping costs are what have been putting my mother off from Naples Sea Shell company and the Hermit Crab Patch. I've been looking for a bulk package with varied sizes, as I don't know what my crabbies will like, but I haven't found any yet.
Loving owner of two hermit crabs and two dogs! Call me Moon, Icy, Kermit, or anything you'd like! sheldon_and_peanut (hermit crabs) and sisterchins (dogs) on Instagram.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:16 pm

jclee wrote:I hope you post lots of pictures when it's all set.
Work in progress. Getting there!ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:59 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:

Amazing progress so far! Looking good.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:25 pm

jclee wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:

Thanks! We'll finish putting in the substrate today, then I can have fun decorating then...start moving over the shell babies. Question..since I won't be moving them all at once, do I need to dip the ones that are moved at a later time, like I would for a new crab?

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
jclee wrote:
Hermiesguardian wrote:Work in progress. Getting there!ImageImageImageImage

Thanks! We'll finish putting in the substrate today, then I can have fun decorating then...start moving over the shell babies. Question..since I won't be moving them all at once, do I need to dip the ones that are moved at a later time, like I would for a new crab?
I don't dip my crabs. That might be a good question for a new thread, to get a sense of what everyone else does.

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:03 pm

Here's the finished product.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Topic author
jclee

Post by jclee » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Hermiesguardian wrote:
Here's the finished product.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Very nice!!! Your crabs are going to have a field day in there.

Moonlightdreams

Post by Moonlightdreams » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:02 pm

Wow! If I were a hermit crab, I'd want to live in your tank! :D