Sand Question!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Sand Question!

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:58 am

Hey guys, hope everyone's doing well! Quick question: is this sand okay for the crabs? Thanks in advance for any responses :D
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fluker-s-Nat ... /799022761
Three PPs (Hoodini, Aaron Burr, and Jubali)
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

CrabbyLover77

Re: Sand Question!

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:58 am

Hi!

I believe Fluker's is one of the safe brands because it is not calcium sand. But honestly, you'd be way overpaying for that small bag of sand. You can grab a 50 lb bag of play sand at a hardware store for under $5. That's what I do. Then I partition the sand off in separate zip lock bags to use later to add to the top when everything settles.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited by CrabbyLover77 on Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:04 pm

CrabbyLover77 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:58 am
Hi!

I believe Fluker's is one of the safe brands because it is not calcium sand. But honestly, you'd be way overpaying for that small bag sand. You can grab a 50 lb bag of play sand at a hardware store for under $5. That's what I do. Then I partition the sand off in separate zip lock bags to use later to add to the top when everything settles. Image

Thank you, my fellow Crabby (ahha)! You're always super helpful, I appreciate it 🥺
Love my deceased baby crabs George Washington, Zero, Domino, Billy, Eduardo, and Shelly too 🥺

CrabbyLover77

Post by CrabbyLover77 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:30 pm

Crabby7Crabber wrote: Thank you, my fellow Crabby (ahha)! You're always super helpful, I appreciate it Image
Haha anytime pal! Image

"Hunting is not a sport. In a sport, both sides should know they're in the game." -Paul Rodriguez-
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BigBeausBouti ... form-mcnav

HermitofHermitCrabs

Post by HermitofHermitCrabs » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 am

I've tried several different brands of playsand and my favorite is Lowe's brand, but it costs a bit more than the sand from Sutherland's. They're all suitable for crabs so in the end it doesn't really matter.
9 PPs in a 125 G Terrarium since August 2020: Sebastian (F) - 2 Molts, Midnight (F) - 2 Molts, Red (M) - 2 Molts, Jello (F) - 3 Molts, Ninja (M) - 1 Molt, Shelly (M) - 1 Molt, Tiny (?) - 3 Molts, & Dot (?) - 1 Molt

Formerly had ~40 from 2004 to 2010.

Topic author
Crabby7Crabber

Post by Crabby7Crabber » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:02 am

HermitofHermitCrabs wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 am
I've tried several different brands of playsand and my favorite is Lowe's brand, but it costs a bit more than the sand from Sutherland's. They're all suitable for crabs so in the end it doesn't really matter.
Thank you!