ISO tank size

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Mr. Crabs

ISO tank size

Post by Mr. Crabs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:48 pm

Hello! Today I need great advice. I'm going to be getting another hermit crab soon! But there is one problem.......... I need a ISO tank and fast! What size of tank would be perfect for a medium sized crab? Please I'm going to need it soon! :(

Topic author
Mr. Crabs

Re: ISO tank size

Post by Mr. Crabs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:50 pm

Plus. I need the cheapest and safest kind of material....

LadyMorrgian

ISO tank size

Post by LadyMorrgian » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:04 pm

If you are going to set up an ISO tank, it's exactly the same as your main tank, the only real difference is that it's smaller. I use an 10g tanks myself. But the think still cost $40-60 to set up if you figure the cost of tank, substrate and UltraTherms.

Also, I only use my ISO for hurt/injured crabs. I am personally one of the people who just give a good dip in fresh water, look for signs of mitedls and put them in the tank. I have had very very few losses. As in 3 crabs. Ever. That's me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crabinski

Post by Crabinski » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:39 pm

I'm with @LadyMorrgian: new crabs get checked over for mites (none have ever had them), get a quick dunk in the FW pool and in they go! ISOs are handy to have set up in case you have a badly injured crab or one who was surface molting or uprooted during a molt. I have my old 10g still set up with substrate and a small UTH but, fortunaely, have never needed to use it. You can also use a plastic Critter Keeper, one large enough to hold the crab, substrate, a small hide, food and water, but small enough to fit within your crabitat -- that way there's no need for a separate UTH or heat lamp.
PPs are Big Enzo, Charles Paris and Mr Pinch
On the Big Beach in the Sky: Murray, Gino, Oscar, Gordon, Ignatz, Harry and King Felix the Pale
Also Mom to Imogene the Syrian Hamster

LadyMorrgian

Post by LadyMorrgian » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:56 pm

I also don't take home the sick crabs. I know it's kind of heartless, but unless a crab has every sign of a recent molt, I don't bring him home.

Topic author
Mr. Crabs

Post by Mr. Crabs » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:32 am

Crabinski wrote:I'm with @LadyMorrgian: new crabs get checked over for mites (none have ever had them), get a quick dunk in the FW pool and in they go! ISOs are handy to have set up in case you have a badly injured crab or one who was surface molting or uprooted during a molt. I have my old 10g still set up with substrate and a small UTH but, fortunaely, have never needed to use it. You can also use a plastic Critter Keeper, one large enough to hold the crab, substrate, a small hide, food and water, but small enough to fit within your crabitat -- that way there's no need for a separate UTH or heat lamp.
No no... I need one because you will never know if your new crab will molt. Mine molts on April 19 and October 19. And I need it just in case if my new crab molts

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:57 am

As long as you have proper substrate and your tank isn't overcrowded, leaving crabs to dig down and molt in the main tank is recommended. Plenty of extra shells and a good diet are advised too. It is good to have some sort of ISO on hand if you ever have a sick or injured crab though. Even if it's just a nice sized Tupperware with small holes in the lid for ventilation, that can be placed within the main tank to keep conditions right.

It's very stressful on them to keep moving them for molts, plus they don't always show signs of needing to molt before digging down anyway.

*of course I'm speaking of normal, healthy molts.

However, there are crabbers who do prefer to ISO new crabs through their first molt. I personally have always introduced them to the main tank right away, after a quick dip in the fw pool. It's up to you which you prefer is best.

Topic author
Mr. Crabs

Post by Mr. Crabs » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:02 am

CallaLily wrote:As long as you have proper substrate and your tank isn't overcrowded, leaving crabs to dig down and molt in the main tank is recommended. Plenty of extra shells and a good diet are advised too. It is good to have some sort of ISO on hand if you ever have a sick or injured crab though. Even if it's just a nice sized Tupperware with small holes in the lid for ventilation, that can be placed within the main tank to keep conditions right.

It's very stressful on them to keep moving them for molts, plus they don't always show signs of needing to molt before digging down anyway.

*of course I'm speaking of normal, healthy molts.

However, there are crabbers who do prefer to ISO new crabs through their first molt. I personally have always introduced them to the main tank right away, after a quick dip in the fw pool.
Its 1 1\2 inches deep

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:03 am

Your substrate needs to be at least 3x as deep as your largest crab is tall (standing) but it's recommended to be no less than 6 inches, even for very small crabs. Larger crabs of course need much deeper.

LadyMorrgian

Post by LadyMorrgian » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:17 am

Mr. Crabs wrote:Mine molts on April 19 and October 19.
Exactly how do you determine, to the day, when your crab is going to molt?

CallaLily

Post by CallaLily » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:16 am

LadyMorrgian wrote: Exactly how do you determine, to the day, when your crab is going to molt?

I think perhaps Mr Crabs meant his crab dug down on those dates? Or likely, with such shallow substrate, they were surface molts?

Mr Crabs, please see what I posted above about substrate depth. Also take a look at this article about substrate and the one I shared above about healthy molting. :)

Topic author
Mr. Crabs

Post by Mr. Crabs » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:38 pm

LadyMorrgian wrote: Exactly how do you determine, to the day, when your crab is going to molt?

I recorded the first molt and the 2nd one to see if there is a pattern

Topic author
Mr. Crabs

Post by Mr. Crabs » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:43 pm

CallaLily wrote:

I think perhaps Mr Crabs meant his crab dug down on those dates? Or likely, with such shallow substrate, they were surface molts?

Mr Crabs, please see what I posted above about substrate depth. Also take a look at this article about substrate and the one I shared above about healthy molting. :)
Plus mine molted on serface ( he was only one in the main tank. I only have one hermit crab cause of parents.) And I ran out of sand.

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:26 pm

Mr crabs, in my opinion you should use the money that you would put towards an ISO into properly setting up your crabitat (deep enough sand, etc) as I think that you don't really need to ISO unless a crab is sick or extremely injured. As long as your tat is set up properly, there should be no issues between crabs etc

Topic author
Mr. Crabs

Post by Mr. Crabs » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:23 pm

purpleperson wrote:Mr crabs, in my opinion you should use the money that you would put towards an ISO into properly setting up your crabitat (deep enough sand, etc) as I think that you don't really need to ISO unless a crab is sick or extremely injured. As long as your tat is set up properly, there should be no issues between crabs etc

Thanks! When it comes to me. I take care of things MAX level!