What did I get myself into...

Older topics that are in the process of being sorted and moved into the appropriate Archived sections below.

Topic author
marandashermies

What did I get myself into...

Post by marandashermies » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:51 pm

Went to Petsmart today browsing around and as I was about to walk out, this tank caught my eye. Image it's a 56g and the tank, stand, lid and some dinky little light strip. It was priced to clear, so I HAD to get it. It was to cheap and perfect to pass up. I think it's the same footprint of a 40g breeder, but much taller. I could be wrong though.

Just when I thought I could sit back and relax .. Well folks, here we go on another build! Image

Got the corner guards drilled and in this evening, after manhandling the stand and tank from my car upstairs. I probably won't be able to move tomorrow, but I know the kids will love it. Image the little red line on the tank is 7inch, so I can determine how much sub too add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}
2 Handsome Kitties {Rolan & Luka}
http://s628.photobucket.com/user/marand ... t=3&page=1

purpleperson

Re: What did I get myself into...

Post by purpleperson » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:22 am

Nice! I always love an upgrade, and that stand a really nice too ... You're temping me to run out and buy a new tank...

Can you please explain to me what the corner guards are? I see them mentioned all of the time but I'm not too sure what they are or what their purpose is.

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:34 am

It's not even an upgrade really, more of an addition! I don't need another tank haha! I have a 125g and a 55g already: completely unnecessary. But oh well..lol

So corner guards are plastic pieces that are used normally for corners of walls When wall papering I think? But we use them for hanging and securing items. So you buy them at lowes or Home Depot, cut them to size and drill holes every inch or so. Once you do that you silicone them in to the top of the tank. Here is a better close up. Image

Here you can see them being utilized in my other tank. I have net and vine hanging secured to the corner guard with zip ties.

Hope that makes sense!

{125g~56g~55g} {30 PPs~ 10 Straws~ 5 Ruggies~ 2 E's~ 4 Viola's~ 2 Cavipes~ 2 Indo's}

purpleperson

Post by purpleperson » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:58 am

Ahhh okay I get it now thanks. :) seems very useful.

landlubber

Post by landlubber » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:07 pm

Congrats on the new tank. Some impulse told you to buy it, and unless in your 125 and 55 you have all Jumbos (which I know you don't) they are likely to need growing room. So you may need it in the future. I think it's a great purchase. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
6 PPs, 4 Straws, 3 Es * 1 Teeny, 6 Smalls, 4 Mediums, 1 large and 1 Jumbo in a 70 gallon
1 Boxer puppy, 1 Yorchie mutt, 1 cat, 1 ball python, 1 boa

Kittykimbro@att.net

Post by Kittykimbro@att.net » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:22 pm

I have wondered about the corner guards as well. The pictures and you explanation made it clear for me. This will be so useful!
:banana: :banana: :banana:

4 Shy PPs (New Family Members)
1 Senior Loveable Mutt Dog (13yrs)
5 Grown (Whew) Children
2 wonderful Granddaughters
1 Patient Husband!

hprmom

Post by hprmom » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:05 am

Ah, I remember you were tempted by the layout of the 40g, looks like you went one better! Congrats!! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Keep posting pics, I'm getting ideas for my build...

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:57 pm

hprmom wrote:Ah, I remember you were tempted by the layout of the 40g, looks like you went one better! Congrats!! Can't wait to see what you do with it. Keep posting pics, I'm getting ideas for my build...Image

yes I was! I went in to look at them and decided against it. Not enough height for me. I was literally walking out the door thinking to myself "wow I am leaving without buying 1 thing"! Then I saw this tank out of the corner of my eye, where they keep their overstock tanks. They also had a 55g with stand and hood for $160 I think? That one was right next to mine. This was the PetsMart in Minneapolis. The one by my house didn't have any deals and only half of the selection.

I have finished my new pools (I HATE silicone by the way), siliconed some items inside the tank, put up my background, purchased my UTH from retilebasics.com, put in my order for cholla and picked up a cork flat, cork round, netting and reptile vines. I already have a ton of items I can put in for hides and such from my other tanks, so I should be fine there. I bought too much sand and eco when I was doing my 125g build, so I shouldn't need to purchase any more of that either. So the only things left to buy are a hygrometer and maybe another moss pit (the ones I have that are not in use, seem a bit too shallow). My UTH shipped pretty quick last time, so hopefully I will get that this week and I can start! I am trying to go with a more jungle theme, but I never really know what its going to look like until everything is placed. :lol:

Does anyone else have a 56g tank? I would love to see pics! I honestly have never looked at this size tank before. Wasn't really aware it existed actually! It's so very different then my 55g, that's for sure! Pretty excited to see how it turns out! :D

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:03 am

Do you know what the corner guards are called? I went to home depot today for play sand but the guy looked at me strange when I asked for corner guards lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

prismatik

Post by prismatik » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:24 pm

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-1-1- ... /100118843

Corner guards? Hope the link was posted correctly.

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:11 pm

AleyedtoBuggie wrote:Do you know what the corner guards are called? I went to home depot today for play sand but the guy looked at me strange when I asked for corner guards lol.

yes, the link below is what they are. Weird, they should know what they are! They always have them in a little box in the middle of a random isle. Let them know its for the corners of walls when you wallpaper. I think if I remember right, its by the paint. But I always ask too! :wink:

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:00 am

prismatik wrote:http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-1-1- ... /100118843

Corner guards? Hope the link was posted correctly.
Thanks!

AleyedtoBuggie

Post by AleyedtoBuggie » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:05 am

marandashermies wrote:
AleyedtoBuggie wrote:Do you know what the corner guards are called? I went to home depot today for play sand but the guy looked at me strange when I asked for corner guards lol.

yes, the link below is what they are. Weird, they should know what they are! They always have them in a little box in the middle of a random isle. Let them know its for the corners of walls when you wallpaper. I think if I remember right, its by the paint. But I always ask too! :wink:
Thanks! Maybe that guy just had no idea what I was talking about. He also sent me to the garden area for play sand only for me to find out, that there was only potting soil where he sent me. Maybe he was new? Image I asked someone else and they turned me in the right direction. The earlier guy suggested flooring for the corner guards...So, yea...no idea.

jennifer711983

Post by jennifer711983 » Fri May 27, 2016 6:12 am

Where do you get the silicon you use to hang things and do you have helpful tips on using it? I never have before but now I just got a 65 gallon tank that should be permanent size I want stuff that will last longer than suction cups and command hooks lol

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Topic author
marandashermies

Post by marandashermies » Fri May 27, 2016 2:39 pm

jennifer711983 wrote:Where do you get the silicon you use to hang things and do you have helpful tips on using it? I never have before but now I just got a 65 gallon tank that should be permanent size I want stuff that will last longer than suction cups and command hooks lol

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
Silicone can be purchased at Home Depot or hardware store. Just ask for aquarium safe silicone. DAP is the most popular.