New Tank

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
hermitcrab24

New Tank

Post by hermitcrab24 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Hello!
It's been a while since I've been on here! So I've had my hermit crabs for a few years now. I think I want to ove them into a newkind of tank. The one I have now is nice but the only place I have to put it in a shelf so it's pretty dark in there and I want them to be out in the light. I was thinking of putting them in one of those plastic Sterilite tubs. The one I bought is clear and 56 Qt. I have heard of people using the Rubbermaid tubs for tanks and I'm not sure how to set it up. I cannot have the top open because I have cats. Do I need to vent the lid or is it okay closed? How will I keep it heated? I need advice on turning the tub into a tank.
Thanks so much,
Bonnie

friesb4uxbabe

Re: New Tank

Post by friesb4uxbabe » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:10 pm

I have a tote and i have the top on, some people do drill holes in the top sides for ventilation. Also i believe some people using heat pads on their totes like a regular glass tank.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:13 pm

Super interesting as im pondering an upgrade myself. The only thing i have found is that you can't use lights for heat it has to be a uth. Also some tubs have air flow some do not. So knowing if its water tight sill tell you weather or not it will need vents. Oh and you will need to brace it for the weight. Soooooo excited to see your progress!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Topic author
hermitcrab24

Post by hermitcrab24 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Thank you so much for the responses! I'm very excited too! Just out of curiosity friesb4uxbabe, where do you keep your tote? is it on the ground, on a shelf, a table?

friesb4uxbabe

Post by friesb4uxbabe » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:31 pm

I have mine on the ground as i dont have a shelf or anything to put it on since i keep it in my room beside my bed lol

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:43 am

If your looking to illuminate you crabitat, you could just add LED's (an aquarium light of course) on top. :) Place it on a timer, and don't worry about turning it on/off yourself.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

friesb4uxbabe

Post by friesb4uxbabe » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:48 am

Ive already upgraded, so i have LED light now, but i might have to look into that timer thing. Thanks for the tip!