Live Plants

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Dartolution

Live Plants

Post by Dartolution » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:23 am

Does anyone keep live plants in their crabitat for their crabs?

I was thinking of using Bromeliads and other Epiphytes in the crabitat for them.

thoughts?
suggestions?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Live Plants

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:44 am

Dartolution wrote:Does anyone keep live plants in their crabitat for their crabs?

I was thinking of using Bromeliads and other Epiphytes in the crabitat for them.

thoughts?
suggestions?
Hello Image. There are definitely quite a few crabbers that do have live plants in their crabitat. However, the plants need to be on the safe list. They also have to have never had pesticides or fertilizers used on them, because hermits are sensitive to those products. Hermit crabs will munch on the plants. I have aloe in my tank. It has been climbed on, munched on, and doesn't look very pretty, but its green, doing okay, and the hermits love it. Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:56 pm

Yes, but don't go spending too much or place you prized plants in there, most likely they will trample/eat/shred them. A crabber a few years back spent over $200 on broms (or it was $150... anyway it was alot) and in a couple of weeks, they were shredded/trampled on or eaten.
I tend to go by "what's reptile safe, is crab safe"; so would suggest looking at the herp/dart frog forums for easy to keep plant species. One that many have had success with is pothos! :)
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Just Jay

Post by Just Jay » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:27 pm

i loooooove live plants! started a post to help me keep track of everything ive tried. how its done. why i picked it. i have a list of a bunch i want to try as well! my hermits favorite has been air plants by far! (Guatemalan Ionantha) it also goes great in the tank until the hermits find it that is lol.

agentcrabby

Post by agentcrabby » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:23 am

I have wild palm trees. Some seeds fell and New tree's sprouted. I transplanted a 4 inch one into my tat. It's doing well so far

Sent from mTalk

Topic author
Dartolution

Post by Dartolution » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:12 pm

I was thinking Ionantha airplanes, and some kind of palm.

What palm tree would you guys recommend?
Sago? Neanthabella? Coconut?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:37 pm

I'm sorry, I am not very knowledgeable on this subject. Here is the unsafe food list. Sago is not safe.
http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 25&t=92556
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Dartolution

Post by Dartolution » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:30 pm

Thank you that was helpful

CharlesMTF

Post by CharlesMTF » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:50 pm

GotButterflies wrote:They also have to have never had pesticides or fertilizers used on them, because hermits are sensitive to those products.
Do you know if the plants at Home Depot or Lowes are pesticide free?
0.0.6 Hermit Crab (Donald Trump, Louis, & 4 unnamed)
0.1.0 Mexican Black Kingsnake (Tynee)
0.1.0 Ball Python (unnamed)

Kuda

Post by Kuda » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Just Jay wrote:i loooooove live plants! started a post to help me keep track of everything ive tried. how its done. why i picked it. i have a list of a bunch i want to try as well! my hermits favorite has been air plants by far! (Guatemalan Ionantha) it also goes great in the tank until the hermits find it that is lol.
Started a post on here?
I'd love to try some live plants, but I usually kill all plants. The only successful ones I've had so far are cactuses. Aloe would probably work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Live Plants

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:33 pm

CharlesMTF wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:They also have to have never had pesticides or fertilizers used on them, because hermits are sensitive to those products.
Do you know if the plants at Home Depot or Lowes are pesticide free?
I would say those are not safe. Farms would need to be organic to be safe. However, from what I understand the ones in the pet stores by the reptile section would be your closest options for being safe. My local Petco sells plants. I hope that helps. Hard to type on a phone! Lol

You could purchase a plant and convert it - but that will take several months...if you have the time, then do it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet Pea

Post by Sweet Pea » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:59 am

I've been using live plants for years now. Spider plants are a good place to start. They are easy to grow, and if you start with one outside the tank it will regularly send off babies that can be moved into the tank. You can buy them from a Home Depot, etc. I wait a minimum of three months before including them in my tank. I consider any plant that you put in to be consumable, meaning that the crabs will trash it.

I have had awful luck with planting directly in the substrate. The crabs will dig it up or disturb the roots with their digging and the plants I've used don't seem to like the eco earth/sand as a growing medium. I have solved this by putting the plant in a small pot sunken into the substrate. This could be a problem if your crabs are small enough to dig into the pot and you later need to remove it. My hermits are large enough that it would be very obvious if the invaded the pot, which they have not done so far.

Another option for live plants is to start from seed. I've used chia, flax, barley, parakeet seed (mostly millet) and sunflower. If I don't have a plant ready to go into the tank when the current one is dead I'll pull the dead plant out of the pot and throw a few seeds into it.