Gettin 45 gallon setup, many questions.

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gettin 45 gallon setup, many questions.

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:24 pm

LOL! Funny! The sand will settle, but that will take about a month. Have fun! I'm excited for you!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:52 am

Got our water bowls in...I haven't silicone the bottoms in....advantages/disadvantages of this? I read someone shared it was easier to clean if not silicone? Also does the mesh just set down in the sand like that? I'm afraid might have one of my crabs go flying! ImageImage While hubby was relocating the heater on other side n up higher I added in what I had left in my bag of EE to the side and made a moss pit. I'm so crafty Image least crafty person ever! Lol
So we have 8 qt. bag of EE (bottom layer complete EE, some mixed in, and 1/2 on top) , (3) 50lb bags of sand in there. Giving us almost right at 9inches n that's already settled from the 12inches we added a few weeks ago. Image

Do I have too many in the bottom of my bowls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daws409

Post by daws409 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:07 am

Looking good! I didn't silicone the marbles in top bowl either. I did for the bottom bowl tho. Just so it would sit more even. For me, no silicone meant easier to clean. For the ramps, I took a push pin/thumb tac and poked a whole in the rim of the bowl (the lip part or part that hangs over not the part the holds water) and stuck a ziptie through it and the mesh... This helps the mesh stay in place and it sort of bends/folds it to the rim of the bowl. Wow! I hope that made sense lol. :)

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:23 am

Yes makes sense! I do believe I've seen that on someone's so I'll try and find a pic give hubby better idea of how to do that! Thank u!! Got some concerns with my 2 mediums coming up from molt yet still trying to bury down so really wanna get them out of the devastating conditions in my 10 gallon ASAP! So glad to hear silicone is not needed makes the moving part move along faster!! You were right' things start taken off quickly!

daws409

Post by daws409 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:37 am

My pics don't really show the ziptie placement but it gives you an idea. Also want to note that it didn't mold to the rim the way I wanted tho you may like it like that... I took a lighter and put a little heat on it to make it bend. Be careful doing this! If it gets too hot, it will melt.

You mentioned too many marbles in the bottom. Just depends on how big your babies are. I have 25 in the bottom of mine. Yes, I counted them out. I'm picky like that :)
ImageImageImage

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:47 am

So I used a drill on mine. Put holes through the bowl and the lip ( I have 5 qt bowls) and when I pulled the zip tie and made them bend).
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks Daws & GotButterflies!! We will try that this evening. It's bad I don't wanna do nothing but play with crab stuff today....I wiped down kitchen, did dishes, but all crab stuff on table so I can organize it n then get it situated under tank in cabinet. This is so an addiction. Added a few things over....I *think* I have all their 'needs' right? I'll just suction cup their shells to the side when I move them over.....Of course I can't just move them over w/o hubby or kids being home Bc they will be devastated!! But maybe this evening.... of course just my 2 Medium on top. Still have my small under.

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Just moved over my only 2 plants Image n put some food in 2 play shells instead of the food bowls I was using n one small decor I had. Temp 78.4 Humidity 88%

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:12 pm

All I want to do is crab stuff too! LOL!! :)

Edit: Looks great!! :)
Last edited by GotButterflies on Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daws409

Post by daws409 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:12 pm

YW! At the rate you're going, I'll bet you're babies will be in there in a day or two. Setting up another tank goes really fast once you have the sub in. :)

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:20 pm

daws409 wrote:YW! At the rate you're going, I'll bet you're babies will be in there in a day or two. Setting up another tank goes really fast once you have the sub in. :)

Yes it has gone fast!! I can not wait to get them all moved n have a funeral for the Calcium Sub n crap water bowls and temp gauges etc! I've got 3 bricks of EE and 2 bags of play sand on stand by! Obviously I probably only need not even a whole EE n maybe 1 bag of sand for a 10 gallon....might have to search that to give me a idea! I actually have a extra empty 10 gallon I guess I could add Substrate to and let it be already 'settling'. ImageImage Too much fun I tell ya!!! The 10 gallon will be used for ISO ONLY!!! I can not be that irresponsible crabber who buys a bunch of little ones and in couple years have to rehome Bc I over did it! ImageImage
Baby will be up from her nap soon (2 yr old toddler lol not crab! Lol)! I'm sure I'll have to get back in mommy mode soon!!

Crabymom

Post by Crabymom » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:29 pm

I used to have a cocoa mat on one side of my 10 gallon tank. Worked well to keep up humidity. I attached it with velcro that had a sticky backing. I did sew it on the mat for stability. I now have a 20 gallon and bubbles in my pools so no mat on the walls, but my crabs did like it. Also was finally able to get a digital thermometer /hygrometer combo at a local glorified feed store, in their garden section of all places. You might try looking at a store that has lots of feed abd tools and stuff for chickens, horses, farm animals. I gave up trying to find the one at walmart.
Hope this helps.

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Hey guys been a bit since I've been on, mostly because no action! Lol
Got all our 3 guys moved between Feb. 14-16th. All went down immediately, don't blame them due to other tank conditions. Here's a few pictures...
This was today just now...I took their food bowls out to switch, of course none is up or eating a dang thing! Lol

Here's a little sneak of the hole/tunnel our smallest guy is in....was concerned when he came up as he looked to be at end of molt but not got his new stuff yet...let me see if I got a pic when I moved him....looks like it might be on hubbys phone.
Anyhoot, as you can see we haven't went any further with levels/decor etc. really didn't wanna disturb the place.
Was soo excited to dump out that calcium sand mess of a 10gallon we had!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Exciting!! :)

Topic author
Highnmighty217

Post by Highnmighty217 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:38 pm

Here's our little guy we are worried bout, he's lost a limb for sure if not totally molted.