Adopting crabs and some are molting. Have to drive

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Emm33333

Adopting crabs and some are molting. Have to drive

Post by Emm33333 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:38 pm

Hey guys! I just had a few questions about moving with molting crabs. I will be getting 6 PP's from a very kind lady from Cincinnati and all supplies with tank (she's about a hour away and I'll be driving all the way to her house) . I know it's possible to move with molters but I just have a few questions.

For the non-molting crabs should I bring my 29g to transport or would a tote be fine for the moment?

Should I take back roads and avoid traffic or fast areas in order to keep the molting crabs safe?

Thanks! Any answers will be appreciated! :D
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16
2 PP's, CrabCakes and Odka (10g, 29g)
Soon to be owner of six adoptees and a 75g with all supplies!
Adoptees names! Bagel ( Big honkin Bagel aka BHB) Cece,Ebony,Mitzi,Rocco and Gwin

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Adopting crabs and some are molting. Have to drive

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:48 pm

You will need to put each of the molting crabs in an individual tupperware container. I wouldn't transfer them in the tank. Their tunnels could collapse while driving/moving. Transferring them in a tote would be fine. Just make sure there is an inch or so of substrate and some things to munch on like leaves, cholla, etc. Exciting!! Good luck!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Emm33333

Post by Emm33333 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:11 pm

GotButterflies wrote:You will need to put each of the molting crabs in an individual tupperware container. I wouldn't transfer them in the tank. Their tunnels could collapse while driving/moving. Transferring them in a tote would be fine. Just make sure there is an inch or so of substrate and some things to munch on like leaves, cholla, etc. Exciting!! Good luck!! :)
Thank you! I'm kinda confused though. From what I understand you are recommending that I or the current owner dig up the crabs when I get there and put them in individual plastic container. Is that correct? I'll be sure to put in sand and some food. By digging them up, wouldn't that cause them potential harm? Thanks. I think I had one more question but I can't remember what it was :hlol:
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16
Adoptees names! Bagel ( Big honkin Bagel aka BHB) Cece,Ebony,Mitzi,Rocco and Gwin

Topic author
Emm33333

Post by Emm33333 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:12 pm

I remember! If it's a problem I can always get them all once they are all up. The should be up soon from what the lady told me
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:31 pm

When transporting crabs, its often better that they are above ground. Movement in the shipping process can cause tunnels and caves to collapse, just like moving your house would place stress on the walls and beams. If they aren't moulting, they can be safely kept togethor in a small tote for the shipping process - or if you prefer, a tank... Whatever you want! - but for moulters, best thing would be to have a small container(s) ready, things like the plastic takeaway snap lock containers would work - with holes - or small sandwich containers - with holes... you get the picture? Fill those with moss and place the crab inside, 1 crab for one container.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:50 pm

You could even put all of the molters in individual tupperware containers in a large dark colored tote to make it less stressful. (Just a thought).
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Emm33333

Post by Emm33333 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:56 am

aussieJJDude wrote:When transporting crabs, its often better that they are above ground. Movement in the shipping process can cause tunnels and caves to collapse, just like moving your house would place stress on the walls and beams. If they aren't moulting, they can be safely kept togethor in a small tote for the shipping process - or if you prefer, a tank... Whatever you want! - but for moulters, best thing would be to have a small container(s) ready, things like the plastic takeaway snap lock containers would work - with holes - or small sandwich containers - with holes... you get the picture? Fill those with moss and place the crab inside, 1 crab for one container.
Okay. I will definitely try that if it comes to it that that's the only weekend I can get them. Thanks! :)
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16

Topic author
Emm33333

Post by Emm33333 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:01 am

GotButterflies wrote:You could even put all of the molters in individual tupperware containers in a large dark colored tote to make it less stressful. (Just a thought).
That is a good idea! So, when I get home after I set up the tank (which I'll be as quick as I can to do) what should I do with the ISO'd molters? I'd probably not put them in the main tank because couldn't they be in danger cause they smell like EXO and all the other crabs like that? Also, are they strong enough to dig themselfs another hole, midmolt? If I'm able I really just rather get them when they are all up just so they aren't in as much danger and stress.
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16

Topic author
Emm33333

Post by Emm33333 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:01 pm

Wanted to let you guys know that the lady said that the molting crabs she thinks are about to come up because it's been around the time it usually takes them :)
From Emm
Happy Crabber since '16

Persia352

Post by Persia352 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:09 am

I bought the Tupperware containers. I am hoping they will be up before we move! One has opened the molting window and I have found out from previous experience the molt is just about over. They have been down for 3 weeks now and they are on the smaller side. :) Thanks again for all your help!

Dragonfreak

Post by Dragonfreak » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:40 pm

Good luck...

love my babies..human ones too!!