The Hermit Crab Patch Premixed Substrate

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

The Hermit Crab Patch Premixed Substrate

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Someone told me the premixed substrate from The Hermit Crab Patch is not safe for my crabbies bc they mix it with salt water...is this true? I've been using it for the past 2 yrs & so far my crabbies seem fine.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Hermit Crab Patch Premixed Substrate

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:29 pm

It's fine. I don't know why someone would say that. My substrate is mixed with marine salt water. :)

Edit: Some people mix with freshwater, but regardless, it boils down to personal preference. I have always used marine salt water. As long as it's dechlorinated first, that's all that matters. I'm sure they follow that protocol considering their business revolves around hermit crabs :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:37 pm

Oh thank goodness! I am on a Hermit crab Facebook page and I'm pretty sure she is one of the admins. She said something about the salt water burning them. But I've been using this the entire time and paying a pretty penny for it bc i don't know how or have the time to mix my own. And i just switched out their substrate in February so i was going to be really annoyed if i had to do it again after all that money.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:40 pm

The only problems with salt in the sub is that if salt water sprays out of the sw pool, it can build up salt concentrations in the substrate which may burn the crabs. Washing it with fw would reverse this....
It's rather easy to make your own, but if your happy using premixed then there's no problem with this brand. We just recommend umdoing it yourself as it's cheaper. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:05 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:The only problems with salt in the sub is that if salt water sprays out of the sw pool, it can build up salt concentrations in the substrate which may burn the crabs. Washing it with fw would reverse this....
It's rather easy to make your own, but if your happy using premixed then there's no problem with this brand. We just recommend umdoing it yourself as it's cheaper. :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Thank you!

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:17 pm

And this person is saying that the Hermit Crab Patch had wrong info...that's where I've learned ask about my crabs so i how I'm not doing everything wrong.

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:19 pm

Sorry for all the typos!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:44 pm

Our care sheets here at the HCA recommend marine salt water. http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 51&t=92457

"For substrate that stays fresh for a long time and resists mold growth, you can use regular strength salt water when wetting it down the first time. The salt helps the humidity levels stay high, and it will also help to prevent mold from growing. Always use freshwater to rewet the sand, as the salt will stay in the substrate and adding in more can make it become too salty over time."
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Life_Is_Good2me

Post by Life_Is_Good2me » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:23 pm

GotButterflies wrote:Our care sheets here at the HCA recommend marine salt water. http://hermitcrabassociation.com/phpBB/ ... 51&t=92457

"For substrate that stays fresh for a long time and resists mold growth, you can use regular strength salt water when wetting it down the first time. The salt helps the humidity levels stay high, and it will also help to prevent mold from growing. Always use freshwater to rewet the sand, as the salt will stay in the substrate and adding in more can make it become too salty over time."
Hmmmm...well that's interesting! Thank you...I feel much better now!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:34 pm

Yw! :)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:06 pm

~Admin note: Please do not screencap from other groups and post here. I know for a fact that in many of the closed groups on FB, that is a bannable offense.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk