Should I get this tank?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Should I get this tank?

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:41 pm

So I was just scrolling through Craigslist looking at tanks just to see if I would stumble across one. And I found a 150 gallon for $45!!! The drive is about 2 hours away but I dont think you can beat that price!
It doesn't come with a stand or anything, and the guy said that it can't hold water. Do you think I'd have a problem with all the substrate? Do you think I should buy this tank?

daws409

Re: Should I get this tank?

Post by daws409 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:44 pm

I would definitely buy it! ;)

Sent from my HTC6515LVW using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:08 pm

Holy Cow what a steal! The only question I would ask is if it has a middle bracket or if the top is melted at all from heat lamps. (If you desire to get glass lids that would be important)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:38 pm

It does have a middle bracket. And nothing has melted. It seems to be in great condition. I guess the guy just wants it gone! I am so excited!!

The dimensions are 48x24x31
Where do I even find a lid for that?

I need a bigger house to fit this! :lol:

biancaalexis

Post by biancaalexis » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:59 pm

ClawedIntoMyHeart wrote:It does have a middle bracket. And nothing has melted. It seems to be in great condition. I guess the guy just wants it gone! I am so excited!!

I definitely suggest going to Lowe's or Home Depot they can cut panes to the correct size for you (:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5 Hermies | Lover of Totes | DIY envisionist

shanedaman112

Post by shanedaman112 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:45 pm

What does he mean by it can't hold water? It seems to me that if it can't hold water that it might crack under the weight of the sand. Seriously an insane deal though.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
2 small PPs: Leonardo, Biscuit
3 medium to large PPs: Kermit Rocketson, Lulu, Strawberry (named because he is red, not actually a straw)
1 Neon Tetra: Stevie. 1 Crawfish: Larry
R.I.P. Larry, Crabby, and Hermie (all PPs) O'mally (Neon Tetra) John Cena(Crawfish)

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:14 pm

shanedaman112 wrote:What does he mean by it can't hold water? It seems to me that if it can't hold water that it might crack under the weight of the sand. Seriously an insane deal though.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
Nah. A tank may not be water tight but will be just fine for a crab tank. A tank full of water weighs more than a half full tank of substrate anyway.

With cracked tanks, it depends on where the crack is, and you can use aquarium silicone and plexiglass to cover a cracked tank wall.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:13 pm

Awesome deal!! You got lucky!! That's great!! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:14 pm

ClawedIntoMyHeart wrote:It does have a middle bracket. And nothing has melted. It seems to be in great condition. I guess the guy just wants it gone! I am so excited!!

With the middle brackets you will be able to find them online :) Awesome deal!! You will be soo happy!!! So will your hermits!!

Topic author
ClawedIntoMyHeart

Post by ClawedIntoMyHeart » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:18 pm

I specifically asked if there were any cracks in the glass, he told me no, but if there wasnt some sort of leak somewhere itd be able to hold water.
Hopefully gonna pick it up this coming weekend.

My lid for my 40B just came in today and its the two separate panel kind. Also it has leftover space for the fish filters and tubing. Well the hermit crabs can fit through the space, they still need ventilation though and I still need an open area for bubbler tubes. But what do I do to keep them from escaping?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon May 01, 2017 9:16 am

ClawedIntoMyHeart wrote:I specifically asked if there were any cracks in the glass, he told me no, but if there wasnt some sort of leak somewhere itd be able to hold water.
Hopefully gonna pick it up this coming weekend.

My lid for my 40B just came in today and its the two separate panel kind. Also it has leftover space for the fish filters and tubing. Well the hermit crabs can fit through the space, they still need ventilation though and I still need an open area for bubbler tubes. But what do I do to keep them from escaping?

GB: It doesn't matter that that tank can't hold water - yours will hold sand ;)

40B lid a glass one? If so, there should be a plastic strip on back piece. Crabs don't need ventilation - there will be enough of an air exchange when you change food daily. You can drill a hole in the plastic part for tubes :)