Smooth green snake with hermit crabs?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
erin.leaman

Smooth green snake with hermit crabs?

Post by erin.leaman » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:31 am

I'm curious if I can keep my smooth green snake with my hermit crabs (in my new and rather large tank.) They are both semi to full arboreal species, their diet is similar, as well as the temperature and humidity. The green snake is docile and minds it's own business. Will they get along? (most of my PPs are small to medium sized.) Is there any diseases I need to worry about?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Bands, Dreamcatchers, and Hermit crabs

soilentgringa

Re: Smooth green snake with hermit crabs?

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:15 pm

erin.leaman wrote:I'm curious if I can keep my smooth green snake with my hermit crabs (in my new and rather large tank.) They are both semi to full arboreal species, their diet is similar, as well as the temperature and humidity. The green snake is docile and minds it's own business. Will they get along? (most of my PPs are small to medium sized.) Is there any diseases I need to worry about?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Please do not attempt to house any other creatures except for isopods or springtails with hermit crabs.

@wodesorel has multiple snakes and herps and can give you a more concise explanation as to why this is unsafe.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:24 pm

I really wouldn't. Hermits will eat anything they can get their claws on and with these snakes being so tiny one good pinch would severely injure or kill them. Snake skin is not armour plated and they can be hurt easily and hermits can cut through each others legs and claws with ease.

I would also worry about salt causing them discomfort. It's not something they usually live around.

Please keep in mind that while these snakes are talked about being arboreal, they do not climb or live in trees, instead they climb bushes and grasses and plants after food. Much different then the branches and sticks we use for our hermits.

In captivity they run the same risk of Metabolic Bone Disorder as geckos and beardies due to their insect based diet. Commercially farmed species of insects are too high in phosphorus and will cause their bodies to give up calcium rather than provide them with what they need. They do need a good calcium supplementation on their feeders and everything I have read about this species says they also need UVB lighting as well to prevent problems. You would have to monitor what and how much it is eating to make sure it stays healthy, which would be impossible with the crabs. (Snakes that eat vertebrate prey aren't at much risk as they digest bones which are full of calcium, it is only insect and fish eaters that can end up dying from MBD.)
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
erin.leaman

Post by erin.leaman » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:34 pm

Okay, thank you all so much!
Bands, Dreamcatchers, and Hermit crabs