Attaching hamster wheel

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Da_Stos208

Attaching hamster wheel

Post by Da_Stos208 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi! I've just finished modifying the wheel to make it crab-friendly. Now that I'm done with it, I'm not sure how to hang it up :/. How did you all set yours up? At first I thought command hooks, but with the movement of the wheel being used I don't think it would be very stable.
Any suggestions?Image

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Attaching hamster wheel

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Could you rest it on the floor? Zip tie it to the lid? (Command hooks would work well IMO, stick it on the side and it should be good to go)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

daws409

Post by daws409 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Well... I started with command strips. I got sick of the hooks falling down (weight of jumbo crabs I guess). I then drilled some wholes in the tank rim lip (pic) and started using zip ties... Havent had a problem since.

I think @GotButterflies uses the velcro command strips to hang it, then ties hemp string to the metal part of stand, and then (lol) duct tapes the string to the outside of the tank for extra support.ImageImageImage

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:04 am

I just put mine right on the sub and the crabs enjoy climbing up the back of the stand and playing a silly game where it seems like they are trying to see who can stand on the top of the wheel the longest before being flung off lol. I was worried about rust at first but so far so good. Theses silent spinners are pretty heavily coated.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:25 am

You're correct Daws! :) I use the command hooks, but use the velcro backs (Velcro command strips are sold for hanging picture frames) Then I use rope to tie the wheels up for extra support and duct tape that part on the outside of the tank. That way if the command hooks fail, they have the double support of the rope.

This way allows me to hang the wheels higher than the substrate. I then put a huge rock for them to climb onto to access the wheel.

I personally don't like setting the wheel onto the substrate. That's me. :)

Edit: Btw - doing it this way - you hang the wheel upside down :)

Second edit: Usually by modifying the wheel - you want the craft mesh to extend outside of the wheel like in Daws pics. Crabs extend their legs when they walk. :) This way they can walk normal when walking the wheel :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:48 am

Thanks for all the quick answers everyone! I'm thinking of either hanging it on the back with command strips and hemp cord, or setting it on the sub. If I set it on the sub, I was thinking of attaching it to a piece of slate to weigh it down so it doesn't fall over.

Also I guess I have to take off the craft mesh and make it wider. How far should it stick out of the edge?

daws409

Post by daws409 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Mine comes out about 3 inches. I cut it about 6 inches wide I think. (Been a while, don't really remember lol). That particular wheel (6.5 in) is too small for my jumbos. I tried a 12 in and its huge. Need to find one for them.

Width depends on how big the crabs are. As long as it's around the width (plus a couple inches) of their leg span, all will be good... You still place some mesh inside so they have traction there too, just cut a wider piece. ;)

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

Kermie16

Post by Kermie16 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:28 pm

I used the bathroom command hooks (wheel is upside down). I haven’t had any issues with them falling off. But I’m thinking of switching over to the zip ties like Daws409 because i want to build up the sub more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:46 pm

I found a salad spinner at a thrift store and it looks perfect for a "hamster" wheel. Lol. I just have to figure out how to set it up.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Do you have a picture? Maybe I can help you brainstorm some ideas

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:06 pm

Da_Stos208 wrote:Do you have a picture? Maybe I can help you brainstorm some ideas Image

Thank you. It's nice and big. The inside part spins nicely. So I can put it right on the floor. But how do I attach it?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
Da_Stos208

Post by Da_Stos208 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:25 pm

Hmm... I'm assuming the green part spins inside the clear part. If you can remove the green part from the plastic part, you could drill holes in the clear plastic part and put zipties through them, the use them as "loops" to hook onto some command hooks.

If the green part doesn't come off, then maybe fit a hole puncher in between the two layers and squeeze really hard to male holes through it? lol.

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:04 pm

Here i was and just be totally getto and get a screwdriver (better yet, a drill) and just make holes and then use zipties lile you mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Da_Stos208 wrote:Hmm... I'm assuming the green part spins inside the clear part. If you can remove the green part from the plastic part, you could drill holes in the clear plastic part and put zipties through them, the use them as "loops" to hook onto some command hooks.

If the green part doesn't come off, then maybe fit a hole puncher in between the two layers and squeeze really hard to male holes through it? lol.

Yes, the green part comes out. That's a good idea. Thanks. However...even in a 40 gal tank, there's still not ENOUGH room for everything. I am not getting a bigger tank.

Happyhermiehome

Post by Happyhermiehome » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:58 pm

Cherylco55 wrote:
Da_Stos208 wrote:Do you have a picture? Maybe I can help you brainstorm some ideas Image

Thank you. It's nice and big. The inside part spins nicely. So I can put it right on the floor. But how do I attach it?ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

That was a brilliant idea you had there to use this as a wheel! To bad it's so big though. Kaytee brand make a nice small 4.5 inch silent spinner wheel that might be better for u if u have lil guys.
Livin' the Crazy crab life :P