Humidity constant around 92. Safe?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
niccolyas@gmail.com

Humidity constant around 92. Safe?

Post by niccolyas@gmail.com » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:47 pm

I know that humidity is supposed to be 80-85. My hermits were a rescue and at first I kept lifting the lid to relieve some of it but I would forget and come back to 65% :shock: so I started just leaving it and they seem active and fine, I guess. Lol. They were rescued and to be honest I knew nothing before I got these guys. Is 92 bad? I mean I could possibly take the moss put out and maybe that will drop it just a little. I would hate to do that tho because my big guy loves it up there. Lol. Everything in my 29g tank is according to this site. 10 inch sub (sand/we mix) fresh and salt water pools both with dechlorinated water and instant ocean in salt, about 15 shells for 2 crabs!!!! I feed them fresh food everyday and they get dried bloodworms, there is a shell at all times with organic peanut butter, and organic unprocessed honey (which oddly they never seem to touch the honey.), I keep a dry shell of crushednuts and Cheerios (I'm currently waiting on my sample pack from one of the sites of here so soon they will be eating better) lol. So, is the humidity ok???? Do I need to figure something out?? Another quick thing just to make sure. If I have both pools I keep take both my water bowls out and they will drink from pools right??? I want more space to put another hide or maybe more plants but wont take them out if they need them of course. TIA this site is AMAZING

CrazyCrab12

Re: Humidity constant around 92. Safe?

Post by CrazyCrab12 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:58 pm

92 humidity is perfectly fine for them. The main reason why people say up to 85%ish is because food molds extremely quickly at higher humidities. If you aren't struggling with mold, there is nothing wrong with a high humidity reading.
Buy a custom portrait of your crab!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatfieldPetPortrait

Topic author
niccolyas@gmail.com

Post by niccolyas@gmail.com » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:33 pm

Thank you. I thought that was correct, but needed confirmation. Can u help me out on water? I'm cleaning tank today, do I need 4 water containers??? Lol

CrazyCrab12

Post by CrazyCrab12 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:43 pm

They drink and bath from the same bowls so only two are needed. Salt water and fresh water.
Buy a custom portrait of your crab!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ChatfieldPetPortrait

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:41 am

My humidity stays at 99% on my four crabitats. That is fine :) Like Crazycrab mentioned - mold can grow quick in new crabitats - but please know mold doesn't hurt the crabs - it can only be harmful to us :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com