Reassuring my Crabitat

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Reassuring my Crabitat

Post by piratetoothgir » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Hi, I just need some reassurance on my current setup. I will now list all my logistics within my habitat.

Tank:
26 gallons, 40 inches long.

Substrate:
I mixed plays and into my existing EE, and I have more sand, than dirt. It’s quite deep, around eight inches, and packed down.

Lighting:
I have a long fluorescent bulb, and it’s bright enough to see everything. I leave the lights on a timer, set to approximately 12 hours a day, and dark all night.

Water:
I have a deep saltwater pool on the right, with a Instant Ocean mixture for salinity. The freshwater is on the left, and it’s a small dish that can fit my hermit crabs body.

Decorations:
I have tons of plants, and wood for them to hide and climb through. They have a pothos vine, cholla wood, ZM leaf plant, and a plastic aquarium plant. My crabs hide, and climb upon the wood, they also love to poop in it. Forgot to mention they have a huge moss box, which has moist sphagnum orchid moss.

Food: I feed them new food every other day, if it’s meat, that’s replaced after 24 hours. Here’s a basic rundown of my schedule.

Day 1: Dry Food Mix
Day 2: Brine Shrimp
Day 3: Honey and Coconut
Day 4: Vegetable
Day 5: Fruit
Day 6: Bloodworms
Day 7: Dry Food Mix

Humidity: I keep the levels way above 80, and there’s always condensation on the glass. I mist it with a spray bottle.

Temperature: Mostly the temp on the substrate level is 78, but it occasionally reaches a bit past 80. I have a thermometer right on the sand.

Okay, so how would you rate my crabitat? I want to make sure nothing is wrong, or anything I need to add/change.

I have two PP hermits, and they hang out very close to each other.

Fanatic
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Reassuring my Crabitat

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:15 am

Hiya!

Mostly looks good - a couple of thing warrant a minor mention:

You don't really want to pack your sub down... more air means a somewhat reduced likelihood of problematic anaerobic bacteria. Churning sub is done to improve aeration in compacted or long un-moved sub.

You've likely heard this before, but be careful not to over mist. It may not be necessary to do more than the moss and/or foliage with good, high humidity.

Your temperature could be a wee bit higher. Crabs tend to be a bit more active past the 80° mark.
Also, where is your hygrometer located? They're more accurate if not left on the sub.

And more regular fresh fruit/veg offerings can't hurt. I offer protein every day. And lastly, perhaps consider adding some leaf litter - crabs are about that life! :)

Otherwise, lookin' good.
:crabbigsmile:
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:18 am

Hi LJJ!

Yeah, I know about the substrate, but I often go around and stir around in it, I called it “aerating” too.

I do not overmist, I didn’t spray at all after this rearranging last night. My huge moss pit locks in humidity.

I’ll try to get the temp higher, as the house is going to start being heated, so that’s a great chance to get it above 80.

I also offered leaf litter, and they were always inside them, I wondered why.
Thanks for reviewing my setup!
Crabber Since 2016

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:30 am

Extra Info

Sorry, I couldn’t post any pictures! My lights were off for the night, and can’t turn them on once they go off.
Here’s my current setup.

ImageImageImage

Should I get another crab or two? I only try to get a certain size (like of my current ones) because I tend to lose small crabs to PPS. I’ve lost 3 small crabs for that reason.

I kinda feel like I should get one, because my two are always beside each other, I think they might adjust well to another addition.

@LadyJinglyJones I have my hygrometer at the top/mid area of the tank, it’s sitting on the hammock to the moss pit.
Crabber Since 2016

daws409

Post by daws409 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 am

You confused me there for a minute... I'm used to seeing your name as fanatic.

Nice improvement since we first met! If this is their forever tank, I personally wouldn't add anymore. However, if you're going to upgrade tanks in next year or two, adding one wouldn't hurt. Just make sure to dip any newbies in the fresh water so they don't smell like intruders.

Can I ask what's in your dry food mix? I see you didn't mention any calcium...

Here's my weekly menu if you're interested: (I know it's a lot but keep in mind I have close to 30 crabs) http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 4#p1045644

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Crabbing since Dec. 2010!
35 Crabbies - 28 PP's, 2 E's, 2 Straw's, 1 Viola, & 2 Indo's

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:05 pm

Daws beat me to it...I was going to also mention calcium, as well as adding more protein, and a fat/oil into the mix. Nuts work, coconut oil works, extra virgin olive oil works... ;)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:15 pm

daws409 wrote:You confused me there for a minute... I'm used to seeing your name as fanatic.

Nice improvement since we first met! If this is their forever tank, I personally wouldn't add anymore. However, if you're going to upgrade tanks in next year or two, adding one wouldn't hurt. Just make sure to dip any newbies in the fresh water so they don't smell like intruders.

Can I ask what's in your dry food mix? I see you didn't mention any calcium...

Here's my weekly menu if you're interested: (I know it's a lot but keep in mind I have close to 30 crabs) http://www.hermitcrabassociation.com/ph ... 4#p1045644

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
Yes, I changed usernames, felt this one is better.
WOW! That's very impressive, gives me a headache! I have a trello board for my crabs, not near as detailed as yours.

I have a bit of crushed cuttlebone in the dry mix, but I will be buying some crushed coral too.
Where is the coral meant to be?
Crabber Since 2016

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:42 am

@GotButterflies

Where do I put the crushed coral?
I'll show you a picture of my trello board!
Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:52 am

You could sprinkle it on the substrate if you want :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:27 pm

GotButterflies wrote:You could sprinkle it on the substrate if you want :)
Alright, that'll work.
I have added eggshells to their dry food mix, now it has extra calcium.
Crabber Since 2016

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:15 pm

stellaplusrocky wrote:
GotButterflies wrote:You could sprinkle it on the substrate if you want :)
Alright, that'll work.
I have added eggshells to their dry food mix, now it has extra calcium.
Great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:16 pm

Hey, so just a quick daily update!

The new crabitat has been finished, and by new I mean I redid it again.
It has two pools, instead of one! FW/SW are the same size! I also have everglades background music playing in the room, so it really sounds like a forest!

@daws409 My brother went to PetCo yesterday, without me. He saw a medium PP, and I want to get it now! I will be upgrading to a 90 gallon this spring.
Crabber Since 2016