Page 2 of 4

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:07 am
by Hermiesguardian
Katievalencia wrote:I have a 10gal tank, nights are getting cooler here in the east coast, what heat source would you recommend and where to get it? worrying about fire hazard..Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The best heaters are the Ultratherm. You can puchase it at reptilebasics.com or beanfarm.com. or on Amazon. Get a size that covers the entire back, above the substrate. It can overlap an inch. And these are the only ones that can be insulated.

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:43 am
by PinchersAndShells
Hermiesguardian wrote:
Katievalencia wrote:I have a 10gal tank, nights are getting cooler here in the east coast, what heat source would you recommend and where to get it? worrying about fire hazard..Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The best heaters are the Ultratherm. You can puchase it at reptilebasics.com or beanfarm.com. or on Amazon. Get a size that covers the entire back, above the substrate. It can overlap an inch. And these are the only ones that can be insulated.
Flukers can also be insulated.

Zoomed is also a very popular brand, but you can only insulate around the UTH. Insulating over top of it becomes a fire hazard.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:42 pm
by wodesorel
I used 11x11 Flukers for years on my old 10 gallons. We keep our house cold in winter and I never even had to insulate it, though it can be if needed!

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:01 pm
by Deku
I keep my PP crabitat at an ambient temperature of 78°F, with a heat pad (w/ thermostat) located on one side of the tank set to 82°F. My crabs always seem active and eat well.

Tank Temperature

Posted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:04 am
by Amlesa
I have two PP. one buried shortly after bringing him home and the larger one pretty much spends all his time next to the heat pad at the back of the tank. The temperature of my tank is usually around 72 to 76 degrees Fahrenheit. I wondering if I should try to get my tank warmer and then maybe he would be more active? Also what is the best UTH to get and where do I get it? Right now I have a Aiicioo UTH.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:44 am
by PinchersAndShells
Amlesa wrote:I have two PP. one buried shortly after bringing him home and the larger one pretty much spends all his time next to the heat pad at the back of the tank. The temperature of my tank is usually around 72 to 76 degrees Fahrenheit. I wondering if I should try to get my tank warmer and then maybe he would be more active? Also what is the best UTH to get and where do I get it? Right now I have a Aiicioo UTH.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I, as well as many others, noticed that my crabs became more active after increasing temperatures to the low to mid 80s. I personally like Ultratherm, as it can be insulated to help further boost your temps. The best two places to get them are http://www.reptilebasics.com (cheaper) and https://beanfarm.com (more sizes). I think Amazon has them as well, but surprisingly they're more expensive on Amazon.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:51 am
by GotButterflies
I personally let my tanks go to 79 (low at night) to high of 86 during the day. I see my crabs all of the time. :)

I have Ultratherms as well - and love them. I have ultratherms from both companies, and recommend the ones from reptile basics the best.

:)

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:02 am
by Amlesa
Good news, I added another UTH to my tank and got the tank up to 84 F . He was far more active last night and was eating and swimming all night


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:52 am
by Amlesa
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:55 am
by RiNiKy506
Amlesa wrote:Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beautiful little one, I love that shell! He/she reminds me of my crab, Salty, with it’s dark coloring.


♡ Rod ♡ Salty ♡ Bob ♡ Squirt ♡ Crabina ♡
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers »-♡->

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:58 am
by Hermiesguardian
Amlesa wrote:Good news, I added another UTH to my tank and got the tank up to 84 F . He was far more active last night and was eating and swimming all night Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:banana:

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:29 pm
by Bdhupp
First time posting. Hoping I’m doing it right...
We have a 29G Tall tank and need recommendations for heating. Can anyone suggest the best option? Preferably something on the outside of the tank.
Thank you so much for any help!

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:16 pm
by Hermiesguardian
Bdhupp wrote:First time posting. Hoping I’m doing it right...
We have a 29G Tall tank and need recommendations for heating. Can anyone suggest the best option? Preferably something on the outside of the tank.
Thank you so much for any help!
Most of us recommend the uth (under tank heater) Ultratherm. It goes on the outside back of the tank. To cover the entire back of the tank from the top of the substrate up. You can find it at reptilebasics.com, beanfarm.com or amazon. You get the size that fits the back of your tank.

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:45 pm
by boatswain
Hello everybody!
I am new here and in the crabs' world.
I have a setup: 10G tank with a small 4W heating mat on the side of the tank. The soil pad (coconuts shells.....) 4" thick. Fresh and salt water... etc... Temperature: 73-75 F. Humidity: 80-85%%
I have 3 PP crabs, small.

They look very passive. One of them I see almost every evening. But others - no. they a buried all the time. I did not see them for the last week. But as I can see a lot of digging traces.
Image
I worry a lot because 2 months ago I lost one of my crabby. I don't know why exactly. But that time I tried to use an orange warming lamp. After he died, I stopped to use it and bought the mat.
Any thoughts/advises? Maybe I need to increase the temperature a little?

Thank you for any bits of advice!

Re: Tank Temperature

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:14 pm
by Hermiesguardian
boatswain wrote:Hello everybody!
I am new here and in the crabs' world.
I have a setup: 10G tank with a small 4W heating mat on the side of the tank. The soil pad (coconuts shells.....) 4" thick. Fresh and salt water... etc... Temperature: 73-75 F. Humidity: 80-85%%
I have 3 PP crabs, small.

They look very passive. One of them I see almost every evening. But others - no. they a buried all the time. I did not see them for the last week. But as I can see a lot of digging traces.
Image
I worry a lot because 2 months ago I lost one of my crabby. I don't know why exactly. But that time I tried to use an orange warming lamp. After he died, I stopped to use it and bought the mat.
Any thoughts/advises? Maybe I need to increase the temperature a little?

Thank you for any bits of advice!

Welcome! First, the HCA recommends 5 gal/crab. So a 10 gal is too small. Keep in mind they will grow. The bigger the tank the better. You can get good deals on craigslist and so forth. When you say coconut shells, do you mean eco earth? Coconut fiber? HCA recommends a mix of play sand and EE mixed with dechlorinated water enough to hold its shape. Sandcastle consistancy. And it needs to be a minimum of 6" deep. Or 3x the height of your largest crab. Whichever is deeper, wins. What type of lid do you have? What are you using to dechlorinate the water? What are you using to make salt water? Both water dishes need to be deep enough for them to totally submerge with a safe way in and out. Do you have a thermometer and hygrometer? The analog ones aren't accurate. Most of us use a digital one by Accurite. You can find it on amazon. A good heater is the Ultratherm. Found at reptile basics.com, beanfarm.com and Amazon. It should be big enough to cover the entire back of the tank from the top of the substrate to the top of tank. Those are the basics. Temp should be about 80°. They get sluggish when it's not as warm.