Tank Temperature

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

sallrw

Re: Tank Temperature

Post by sallrw » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:05 pm

I've been keeping crabs for a few years now and have a 60 gallon tank plus a 30 gallon Iso. Living in Texas, the temperature is so unpredictable so I bought reptile heating pads from ebay that have temp control knobs and have them stuck on the outside back wall of the tanks. I wouldn't use anything else. I like being able to control the temp in my tanks. Plus I have a fold out mylar car dash window sun sheild wrapped around the back of my iso tank as well. I hardly ever have a problem with rising and falling temps. It's great!

CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:42 am

I also have this problem, and my current solution works relatively low-risk, but if my house burns down, it's my fault XD
I currently have a heating lamp along with a tank heater (which I don't know why isn't working well enough), but I've been told that with the lamp, humidity becomes an issue. As long as you watch your humidity carefully, a heating lamp might be effective for cold stretches as long as you don't mind the dim light.

Question of my own: what the heck is a carribean hermit crab and what does it need to survive? they were all my pet store had (I wanted PPs).
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:45 am

Okay, just read up, I think these are purple pinchers .whoops XD
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena