Lid

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Steph2009

Lid

Post by Steph2009 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Hello,

We are a new hermit crab family. We were given a hermit crab with very poor instructions and a horrible crabitat! :( I am so glad to have found you all!!! We love this hermit crab already and want to set up the best environment. We were given a "hermit crab starter kit" that was a cage and held no humidity so I wrapped it in saran wrap and that seemed to help. As soon as I was able to I got a 10 gallon glass tank but now I'm second guessing everything and i'm not sure on which lid to use? I was given a mesh cover but I was wondering if a glass lid is better? I have someone that can get me a glass lid with a hinge door that opens.

Also, our hermit crab has been living alone for a few months and I want to get another crab so it is not alone but I'm not quite sure how to introduce a new one? And do they get terrirorial if they have been living alone or would they be happy to have each other? I don't want to stress out our crab anymore than it already has been!

Thank you!!!

casssch

Re: Lid

Post by casssch » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:46 pm

I have used a mesh lid for mine, but I have wrapped it with press and seal, then covered with towels to keep in warmth and humidity. If you can get a glass lid, it might be easier.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:00 pm

Hi Steph! Welcome to the HCA! :)

Please check out the forum for the care sheets :)

Adding a buddy would be great! Just make sure to dip the new buddy into the freshwater of the crabitat so the crab you have doesn't see it as an intruder. Try checking the adoption pages here, and Craigslist in your area for crabs that are looking for homes. Adopting a crab vs buying a crab you will have better luck with hardiness. :)

As far as lids - I personally prefer glass. I have glass on all four of my crabitats. You have to do what works for you though. If you are using heat lamps, glass lids won't work. They will crack.

We are here for you if you have any questions! :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

GreatVegetable

Post by GreatVegetable » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:27 pm

Steph2009 wrote:Hello,

We are a new hermit crab family. We were given a hermit crab with very poor instructions and a horrible crabitat! :( I am so glad to have found you all!!! We love this hermit crab already and want to set up the best environment. We were given a "hermit crab starter kit" that was a cage and held no humidity so I wrapped it in saran wrap and that seemed to help. As soon as I was able to I got a 10 gallon glass tank but now I'm second guessing everything and i'm not sure on which lid to use? I was given a mesh cover but I was wondering if a glass lid is better? I have someone that can get me a glass lid with a hinge door that opens.

Also, our hermit crab has been living alone for a few months and I want to get another crab so it is not alone but I'm not quite sure how to introduce a new one? And do they get terrirorial if they have been living alone or would they be happy to have each other? I don't want to stress out our crab anymore than it already has been!

Thank you!!!
The easiest DIY fix for your lid would be to simply use clear package tape to cover the top. It will reduce visibility for you but I've noticed the less of the outside of the habitat the crabs see, the more comfortable and active they become.

For such a small tank a heat lamp should not be necessary. You can purchase under tank heaters online for fairly cheap, however you would place the UTH on the side of the tank, as not to overheat any crabs in molt, and I've also had them melt underneath of tanks before, can be quite the fire hazard.

Feel free to message any questions you may have.

Good luck to you and your hermits!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Topic author
Steph2009

Post by Steph2009 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Thank you all so much that was all so helpful!!!

If I can still get the glass cover I'll use that but if not I will definitely try some of your DIY options! Right now I have an under the tank heat source. It seems to be working for now. If I need to switch to a lamp or another heat source I'll have to try one of the other options but it is comforting to know that there is not one definitive way. We we will see what works and if not we'll try something else. :)

Thanks again!!!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:02 am

Steph2009 wrote:Thank you all so much that was all so helpful!!!

If I can still get the glass cover I'll use that but if not I will definitely try some of your DIY options! Right now I have an under the tank heat source. It seems to be working for now. If I need to switch to a lamp or another heat source I'll have to try one of the other options but it is comforting to know that there is not one definitive way. We we will see what works and if not we'll try something else. :)

Thanks again!!!
I just wanted to verify that you are using the UTH on the back or on the side of the tank to heat the air. :) That is how us crabbers use them!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
Steph2009

Post by Steph2009 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:52 pm

Yes the heat is to the side. Thanks!