Axolotls and Hermit Crabs in the same room?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Kaye5802

Axolotls and Hermit Crabs in the same room?

Post by Kaye5802 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:51 pm

So I have two healthy crabs (one currently molting and one just over a molt!) in a 20 gallon tank and I’ve been looking into getting some Axolotls eventually. Apparently I really have a thing for pets with regeneration abilities and extreme temperature needs!

My question is if anyone has kept hermit crabs who need relatively hot temperatures and an animal who needs very cold temperatures in the same room, either on the same stand or on different sides of the room. I have a heater for my crabs (duh) and I wouldn’t be opposed to buying something to keep my Axolotls cold but I’d really like to keep all my pets in my bedroom and so would my family. I live in the Midwest so either way I’d be struggling to maintain temperatures for both animals in sections of the year although this winter I kept my hermit crabs tank a solid temperature opposed to last year where it was more of a struggle! I hope that I can get some information because I’d hate to buy and set up a tank just to realize these animals can’t be kept near one another.

sarcasticLynx

Re: Axolotls and Hermit Crabs in the same room?

Post by sarcasticLynx » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:06 pm

I know they do sell chillers for aquarium that need to stay below room temperature. If you were to keep them close together, I'd put a barrier that would keep the heat from transferring to the axie's tank (the same way keeping a hermit crab tank next to the window will sap the heat out of it).

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:29 pm

You certainly can keep them in the same room, it just be as wise to insulate the axie tank during summer and habe some frozen waterbottles on hand- or a chiller unit for aqua - to keep their temp at their sweet spot.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:38 pm

It's easier to cool the room for those that need it and get a good heater for the hermits. I keep my bedroom below 68 at all times for myself and my crested gecko, and have my ruggie hermit tank and tropical fish tank with good heaters to keep them at 80 and 72. Heaters are much cheaper and easier than chillers!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Kaye5802

Post by Kaye5802 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:30 pm

aussieJJDude wrote:You certainly can keep them in the same room, it just be as wise to insulate the axie tank during summer and habe some frozen waterbottles on hand- or a chiller unit for aqua - to keep their temp at their sweet spot.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Okay sweet! Yeah I’ve been doing a lot of research and I’ve seen some creative ways to insulate and block out some harsh light as well as heat from the Axolotl tank. I think I’d go for a 30 gallon tank so I could keep two and put my hermit crabs on the opposite side of the room. I just wanted to make sure that it was possible just because I know how humid and hot my room gets because of my hermit crabs haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Kaye5802

Post by Kaye5802 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:35 pm

wodesorel wrote:It's easier to cool the room for those that need it and get a good heater for the hermits. I keep my bedroom below 68 at all times for myself and my crested gecko, and have my ruggie hermit tank and tropical fish tank with good heaters to keep them at 80 and 72. Heaters are much cheaper and easier than chillers!
Oh perfect! I’m still a teenager living with my parents who keep the house around 68-70 so I don’t have much control over the temperature of the house but I wouldn’t mind investing in a better heater if it became a problem and I’ve read some things about using a fan to cool the axolotls water since chillers are so expensive.

Topic author
Kaye5802

Post by Kaye5802 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:38 pm

sarcasticLynx wrote:I know they do sell chillers for aquarium that need to stay below room temperature. If you were to keep them close together, I'd put a barrier that would keep the heat from transferring to the axie's tank (the same way keeping a hermit crab tank next to the window will sap the heat out of it).
Okay thank you! Yeah I’d probably keep them both away from the window on opposite sides of the room just because of the temperature situations and I have a rather large bright window for animals who don’t like light (poor babies! Haha)

jclee

Post by jclee » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:12 pm

A less expensive alternative to chillers, depending on your ambient temperature, is to hang fans above the tank. Increased evaporation cools down the temperature. Again, whether this works depends on how hot your apartment gets.
120G with 5 hermit crabs, varied ages/sizes, most are jumbo by this point.
I have a bunch of other critters, too! You can see them all here:
https://www.instagram.com/profjcscritters/

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:14 am

If we ever did axolotls, because they are on my bucket list and our summers are hot, my plan was to do a little mini-fridge (under $100 new) as a chiller. Drill two holes through the side and run several feet of potable water tubing through it with a cheap aquarium pump to circulate. I had a mini-fridge left from college we were going to use but it got trashed several years ago. Always figured we could nab one cheap used when the time came though. A real chiller works similarly but costs several hundreds and I never see them used!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
Kaye5802

Post by Kaye5802 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:50 am

wodesorel wrote:If we ever did axolotls, because they are on my bucket list and our summers are hot, my plan was to do a little mini-fridge (under $100 new) as a chiller. Drill two holes through the side and run several feet of potable water tubing through it with a cheap aquarium pump to circulate. I had a mini-fridge left from college we were going to use but it got trashed several years ago. Always figured we could nab one cheap used when the time came though. A real chiller works similarly but costs several hundreds and I never see them used!
wow that’s a really good idea! Thank you so much yeah doing that is much cheaper than a chiller!

Topic author
Kaye5802

Post by Kaye5802 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:52 am

jclee wrote:A less expensive alternative to chillers, depending on your ambient temperature, is to hang fans above the tank. Increased evaporation cools down the temperature. Again, whether this works depends on how hot your apartment gets.
Okay thank you! Yeah I’m unsure of how hot my house will get because I’m moving in this April/May but I’ll have all summer to see the temperatures of my room and then I can decide if that would be a good place to keep axolotls.