Climbing wall problems

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Climbing wall problems

Post by ciaraalston » Fri May 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Hey y'all! I bought some cocofiber climbing wall to run along the back and left side of my tank. I was going to use self adhesive Velcro to hold it but when I added it to the cocofiber it didn't hold. Tiniest bit of pull and it comes right off! What did y'all use to attach this to your glass tanks? Also extra info, I'll be running it along the back and side, so it will go over my heater on the back in case that makes any difference.

I'll just add that I also got the Ecoearth bricks, 3 of them. To replace the sand substrate. Also got a few other toys to add into the tank with the climbing wall and I can't wait to get it all set up next week! I work graveyard shift so I want to wait until my day off Wednesday to work on it so I gave all the time I need and can still sleep that night. Haha. Can't wait to show y'all pictures! :lol:
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Climbing wall problems

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sun May 13, 2018 1:36 am

I like command hooks.

I've also purchased untreated oak dowl (very narrow diameter), drilled holes all along it & then drilled holes in the plastic rim of my tank. I use zip ties through the holes in the end of the dowl to secure it through holes in the rim. Then any thing I want to hang I can do so from the holes in the dowl. I mostly use zip ties but jute works too. No more suction cups falling. (Does this description make any sense? I can take a picture if not.)
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Tue May 15, 2018 10:58 pm

Command hooks do work very well for when I hang fishing net and fake vines. I just leave them hanging if they aren't being used.

I had that same type of mat you are talking about and used suction cups to hold it in place. As LadyJinglyJones said and I experienced the suction cups would always pop off the tank every day or two. I was always concerned about crabs getting stuck between the wall and tank and roasting. I always tried to crab proof that but I always found one back there. I eventually cut a hole at sand level so if they had an escape route if they didn't want to climb up. We were always wondering if a crab was down in the substrate or stuck behind the wall. With the heater on the back it made it tough to see if they behind the wall. Eventually we gave up fighting with it.

I think if I were to attempt the wall again I would use that crafting mesh as a backer to stiffen the cocofiber. Small zip ties to secure the crafting mesh to the cocofiber. The command hooks to secure it to the back of the tank. I'm sure you could even make hides and steps all sorts of things too.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed May 16, 2018 1:11 am

LadyJinglyJones wrote:I like command hooks.

I've also purchased untreated oak dowl (very narrow diameter), drilled holes all along it & then drilled holes in the plastic rim of my tank. I use zip ties through the holes in the end of the dowl to secure it through holes in the rim. Then any thing I want to hang I can do so from the holes in the dowl. I mostly use zip ties but jute works too. No more suction cups falling. (Does this description make any sense? I can take a picture if not.)
That set up sounds awesome and i'd love to see a picture of it!
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed May 16, 2018 1:13 am

Motörcrab wrote:Command hooks do work very well for when I hang fishing net and fake vines. I just leave them hanging if they aren't being used.

I had that same type of mat you are talking about and used suction cups to hold it in place. As LadyJinglyJones said and I experienced the suction cups would always pop off the tank every day or two. I was always concerned about crabs getting stuck between the wall and tank and roasting. I always tried to crab proof that but I always found one back there. I eventually cut a hole at sand level so if they had an escape route if they didn't want to climb up. We were always wondering if a crab was down in the substrate or stuck behind the wall. With the heater on the back it made it tough to see if they behind the wall. Eventually we gave up fighting with it.

I think if I were to attempt the wall again I would use that crafting mesh as a backer to stiffen the cocofiber. Small zip ties to secure the crafting mesh to the cocofiber. The command hooks to secure it to the back of the tank. I'm sure you could even make hides and steps all sorts of things too.

I'm off the next two days so i think i'm going to put it together using the command hooks for the first try. Should i use the white ones with the small metal hooks or should i use the all plastic ones? I thought about the metal ones because i can bend the hook to close and hold better, but will the metal be a problem to my crabs?