Hermit Crab Patch Pre-Mixed Sub

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
crabby33

Hermit Crab Patch Pre-Mixed Sub

Post by crabby33 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Has anyone ever used the Hermit Crab Patch's Pre-Mixed Sub? I have before and people in another group told me to take it out and change it to play sand and eco earth because it did not follow their guide lines for crab care. The Hermit Crab Patch uses clean Florida beach sand, eco earth and Instant Ocean. I am not naming this group that I was removed from last year in case there are members of that group who are members here. Just to be clear.

LadyJinglyJones

Re: Hermit Crab Patch Pre-Mixed Sub

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat May 12, 2018 12:20 pm

Other groups may have recommendations regarding either the calcium or added salt (if memory serves the HPC mix contains a small quantity of salt? ).

Members of the HCA over the years have not reported negative issues with these additions & so other than mentioning that playsend&ee homade mix is cheaper, I'd have no issue with it. Calcium carbonate sand is, of course, dangerous... but there shouldn't be enough in the hcp mix to cause cementing.

I'd encourage you to enquire as to what members of the other group say about why they discourage this. Or write the hcp to ask about their sub composition.

Just from limited interactions with other groups, I feel like there's a tendency to be overly cautious in some crab husbandry matters.... but there's nothing wrong with that if you agree with those ideas.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:25 pm

The Hermit Crab Patch uses clean Florida beach sand, Eco Earth and Instant Ocean. They don't use Calcium sand. The members of the other group discourage this because they believe the salt will burn molters and that the sub should be mixed with dechlorinated Fresh water only.

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sat May 12, 2018 3:39 pm

It's expensive, but it's been in use for probably two decades now with no reported problems.

I HATE how the other group took my posts here about beinf cautious of about salt burn and turned it into "OMG SALT DEADLY." I admitted to mixing waaaayyy too much salt in my sub years and years ago. Normal drinking strength is fine. Heck, double strength is fine. Just don't go dumping in cupfuls of salt without measuring like I did when I was hurt and tired and not paying close enough attention.

I also know now that why I was hurting so much and not paying attention during that adventure was because it was the first time my disc herniated and caused spinal compression, and I kept working on the tank through all that insane pain, because the hermits come first of course. I realize now that I was borderline delerious.

And in the end the crabs were fine. They looked funny for a couple of molts, but the massuve amoubts salt didn't cause permanent damage.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sat May 12, 2018 3:46 pm

wodesorel wrote:It's expensive, but it's been in use for probably two decades now with no reported problems.

I HATE how the other group took my posts here about beinf cautious of about salt burn and turned it into "OMG SALT DEADLY." I admitted to mixing waaaayyy too much salt in my sub years and years ago. Normal drinking strength is fine. Heck, double strength is fine. Just don't go dumping in cupfuls of salt without measuring like I did when I was hurt and tired and not paying close enough attention.

I also know now that why I was hurting so much and not paying attention during that adventure was because it was the first time my disc herniated and caused spinal compression, and I kept working on the tank through all that insane pain, because the hermits come first of course. I realize now that I was borderline delerious.

And in the end the crabs were fine. They looked funny for a couple of molts, but the massuve amoubts salt didn't cause permanent damage.
What is the other group?
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

LadyJinglyJones

Post by LadyJinglyJones » Sat May 12, 2018 10:51 pm

* HCP mixes oyster shell (for calcium) in too. (So do I... I buy a box in the bird section at the petstore & mix it in). That's what I was thinking when I mentioned calcium.
"Gaze upon the rolling deep..."
Quince the fat tailed gecko; Amazonian minnows; and now Harry & Luis, Bede & Aster, Chandra & Jace, Pax, & Piccolo, my adopted PPs.
RIP Vegita :(

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Sun May 13, 2018 12:46 am

AwesomeHermit wrote:What is the other group?
Not exactly important, and also its rude - and downright unlawful - to talk bad about other businesses and groups.
Wod was trying to say that in the past we had a small collection of HCA members that took a vast majority of their info from here and created their own ideal. Nothing wrong with it... unless they use the info for their own agenda and 'forget' to mention all details....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Sun May 13, 2018 7:09 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
AwesomeHermit wrote:What is the other group?
Not exactly important, and also its rude - and downright unlawful - to talk bad about other businesses and groups.
Wod was trying to say that in the past we had a small collection of HCA members that took a vast majority of their info from here and created their own ideal. Nothing wrong with it... unless they use the info for their own agenda and 'forget' to mention all details....

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I’m sorry, it was a genuine question.
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun May 13, 2018 5:33 pm

I also use clean beach sand for my crabs. I am also from Florida. It all just depends where you get it from. I mixed mine with eco earth when I initially set up my tanks. Now that they are established, every once in awhile I will add fresh Beach sand on top of their substrate.

As far as mixing oyster shell into the substrate- to each’s own. Just because I don’t doesn’t mean it’s wrong. I personally sprinkle mine on top of the substrate. When that is gone, I do it again.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com