My mom does not think hermit crabs get very big

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
crabby33

My mom does not think hermit crabs get very big

Post by crabby33 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:48 pm

Help! My mom thinks hermit crabs do not need deep sub. She also thinks hermit crabs don't need large tanks. I was trying to do right by my crabs today and add an extra layer of play sand because it was too low due to it having settled. The deepest part was 4 inches and the lowest was 3 inches. She asked," Do you want it to be 6 inches?" She thinks 6 inches of sub is too much.
I'm hoping my crabs outgrow the tank they're in to show that they DO grow. My folks also still consider my crabs not important.

They think that because I only have 2 crabs, my crabs don't need that many shells.

soilentgringa

Re: My mom does not think hermit crabs get very big

Post by soilentgringa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:20 pm

crabby33 wrote:Help! My mom thinks hermit crabs do not need deep sub. She also thinks hermit crabs don't need large tanks. I was trying to do right by my crabs today and add an extra layer of play sand because it was too low due to it having settled. The deepest part was 4 inches and the lowest was 3 inches. She asked," Do you want it to be 6 inches?" She thinks 6 inches of sub is too much.
I'm hoping my crabs outgrow the tank they're in to show that they DO grow. My folks also still consider my crabs not important.

They think that because I only have 2 crabs, my crabs don't need that many shells.
Print out the care guides if you can or invite her to read them.

Explain that you are trying to be a responsible pet owner by providing the correct habitat for your animal.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:10 am

Consider printing out the sizing chart... the circles will give a close approximation of the sizes they can obtain.

The 6 inch deep substrate is in responce to having amply room when moulting and to ensure attacks don't occur. Explaining that they make pockets in the substrate (sometimes can be large) when moulting, so extra depth ensures a larger volume of moulting space.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:44 am

Hello! :)

I am sorry that your parents don’t understand, mine don’t either, but they know what I have to do. I would strongly suggest the guides, charts, and some of these messages from this forum to show to your parents, that may help.

What size is the tank you have now?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:04 am

I have my crabs in a 20 Gallon high tank.

piratetoothgir

Post by piratetoothgir » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:19 am

crabby33 wrote:I have my crabs in a 20 Gallon high tank.
Okay, since you have a taller tank, you'll be able to do deeper substrate, those tanks are high.
I would talk to your mom or dad, and get them to understand the substrate issue. You can buy a bag of PlaySand at any hardware store for about five dollars or less.
Crabber Since 2016
7 Caribbeans & 2 Ecuadorians
I am the proud owner of my hermit crabs, aquarium fish, and isopod totes!

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Maybe sho pictures of jumbos online?
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:37 pm

I can try, but I don't think that will be enough. They have to see the crabs are too big for the tank for them to be convinced that my crabs need a new tank.

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 pm

My boyfriend had the same issue. He didn't understand why they needed such deep substrate, or why I wanted a bigger tank. He thought since they'd survived in a little tote with barely any needs met that they were fine. I just read some care sheets to him and quoted some admins who were giving me advice. He has aquariums and snakes and I have my crabs, and of course our dogs. So we agreed that once our bills are paid, any extra we want to spend on hobbys we can do in moderation.
I know parents are difficult sometimes, but maybe compromise with them. More chores to compensate the extra money you're spending, explain the responsibility you're learning by taking care of these animals. Try to get them involved!! My boyfriend didn't really care what I was doing until I involved him in it. I would learn about his aquariums and he started being interested in my crabs. When I added new stuff to the tank id ask his opinion, get his help in it. Now he enjoys it almost as much as I do.
Good luck!!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Ps- instead of buying brand new check Facebook marketplace and craigslist. Wait till petco has their tanks $1 a gallon. I found a 55 gal on Facebook for $40. Brand new that would be much more expensive!

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:21 pm

crabby33 wrote:I can try, but I don't think that will be enough. They have to see the crabs are too big for the tank for them to be convinced that my crabs need a new tank.
You can show them Lemmy. He is as large as a tennis ball. Image

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:25 pm

Lemmy is estimated to be around 13-15 years old. I adopted him from a family that had him for 10 years. ImageImage

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:46 pm

soilentgringa wrote: Image

Imagine if that tape measure was a finger!
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Sillysheep

Post by Sillysheep » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:47 pm

Gorgeous shell!!!

Crazy Crab Lady

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:02 am

My mom is the "I have to see it to believe it" kind of person. She has told me she will not buy a bigger tank unless my crabs are the size of her fist. I've heard her say," It will be a miracle if that happens." Showing her a picture isn't going to do it.