Wood and mold

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
mxxlane

Wood and mold

Post by mxxlane » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:42 am

I had some nice wood for my hermies that my boyfriend had from his old chameleon. I have a mist king and it’s been great but some of the wood branches were in the way so tonight I was moving them around and noticed mold. What’s the best way to clean up the wood and deal with it for the future? Or should I just get fake wood?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ciaraalston

Re: Wood and mold

Post by ciaraalston » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:12 am

i think i saw someone post somewhere else about boiling it, then giving it a salt water soak.
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:39 am

Mold isn't harmful to crabs.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:48 am

Mold isn’t harmful to hermit crabs. You can try soaking the wood in saltwater or baking it, but the mold will eventually die off on its own.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:33 pm

I personally prefer leaving it alone. The mold will eventually die off. Some do soak their wood in msw and some do bake it. That can cause it to shrink. Mold isn’t harmful to the crabs, but it can be harmful to us if we inhale the spores.

Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
mxxlane

Post by mxxlane » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks you guys! So I’m best off just leaving it be? I don’t want to mess with it if they’ll be okay

JoeHermits
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JoeHermits » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:55 pm

Ya, unless you have allergies, you can just leave the mold be.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:11 pm

That is what I would do :)
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:35 am

I just posted a Q in another thread but these suggestions are very good. I didn’t know mold wasn’t harmful to crabs.

HHIhermies1004

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:27 pm

I also found mold in my wood, I cleaned it off and soaked it in salt water After that I let it air dry in the sun for a whole day. Waited until it was completely dry to put it back in. I was also lucky enough to get isopods to help prevent the mold from coming back. No mold ever since.

Hi, My name is Kristine
Hermit Crab Family includes 7 Hermies
JACK, BARBOSA, WILL, and DAVY JONES are E's.
3 PP's - Sao Feng, Tia Dama, and Elizabeth swan.

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:51 pm

HHIhermies1004 wrote:I also found mold in my wood, I cleaned it off and soaked it in salt water After that I let it air dry in the sun for a whole day. Waited until it was completely dry to put it back in. I was also lucky enough to get isopods to help prevent the mold from coming back. No mold ever since.

Isopods, huh? I still have to do some research and wrap my head around those. I’ll definitely try the soak in MSW technique. Thanks!

HHIhermies1004

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:19 pm

ApePlanet wrote:
HHIhermies1004 wrote:I also found mold in my wood, I cleaned it off and soaked it in salt water After that I let it air dry in the sun for a whole day. Waited until it was completely dry to put it back in. I was also lucky enough to get isopods to help prevent the mold from coming back. No mold ever since.

Isopods, huh? I still have to do some research and wrap my head around those. I’ll definitely try the soak in MSW technique. Thanks!
I understand the hesitation I also was very reluctant about the isopod, but I swear by them I haven't seen any poop in the tank and more importantly no mold. They never escape out of the tank and I don't see them very much in the tank yet I know they're doing a good job. Good luck with the mold, I know the MSW will work but I'm not sure about reoccurrence in the future.

Hi, My name is Kristine

LeeHasCrabs

Post by LeeHasCrabs » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:21 pm

HHIhermies1004 wrote:
ApePlanet wrote:

I understand the hesitation I also was very reluctant about the isopod, but I swear by them I haven't seen any poop in the tank and more importantly no mold. They never escape out of the tank and I don't see them very much in the tank yet I know they're doing a good job. Good luck with the mold, I know the MSW will work but I'm not sure about reoccurrence in the future.

I just read that if you go the isopod route, you shouldn’t use MSW or maybe a very light amount of MSW when mixing with your substrate. Is this true?

HHIhermies1004

Post by HHIhermies1004 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:28 pm

ApePlanet wrote:
HHIhermies1004 wrote:
ApePlanet wrote: Isopods, huh? I still have to do some research and wrap my head around those. I’ll definitely try the soak in MSW technique. Thanks!

I just read that if you go the isopod route, you shouldn’t use MSW or maybe a very light amount of MSW when mixing with your substrate. Is this true?
I soaked my Substrate with MSW and same with wood and all my isopods are alive and well. I mist with distilled water cause it doesn't leave any streaks on the glass. I haven't seen any dead isopods laying around. If I do have some dead ones then my crabbies are eating them which is a plus :).

Hi, My name is Kristine

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:03 am

It depends on the species of isopod you use. Some will be more tolerant of salt than others.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram