temp dropped and won't heat back up!!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
ciaraalston

temp dropped and won't heat back up!!

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:34 am

Usually, my tank runs between 77 to 82 degrees. I have 2 purple pinchers that are both buried. We added a new AC unit in the house this week, and my temps have been 71-73 for the last couple of days. i wrapped a towel around the tank and added a small blanket to maybe block the cold air but the temp only raised to about 74. I'm so worried, because they're both buried so i can't see if they died from such low temps!! I think it's the UTH not being able to keep up with the new AC keeping the house colder.. How could i raise these temps???
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: temp dropped and won't heat back up!!

Post by wodesorel » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:05 am

What is the temperature of the room they are in?

What size is the tank?

What is the size and brand of the UTH?
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:09 am

I'm not sure the temp of the room, I'll take that when I get home. But it's probably in the 70s during the day.

Tank is a 20 gal long

Heater is 8 watt heater plugged into thermostat set at 82. Here's a pic:

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk
4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:12 am

Is the tank on an outside wall?
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:12 am

AwesomeHermit wrote:Is the tank on an outside wall?
Yes

AwesomeHermit

Post by AwesomeHermit » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:10 am

That could be a reason why it is getting cold. It happens to me in the winter
One or hopefully two Clypeatus
Goodbye my little E. See you soon.
Bye Fred. You lasted almost 4 years with me. Hope you're with my E now! See you soon Reeba as well. I can't believe I lost you only after a month.
Crabbing for 4 years!

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:12 am

Okay, I'm headed home I'll move it and see if that helps. Thank yall!

Rawrgeous

Post by Rawrgeous » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:36 am

Is there any way you can try insulating the sides and around the heat mat? Purple pinchers shoudn't be at risk for death in the 70s while buried, though it is not ideal. Even though your current mat is not rated for insulation since you are just needing a temporary fix until they can be moved to your new tank you could perhaps try insulating where the mat is not with cardboard/foil? Honestly I believe it is a bit cooler when they are down to molt anyways in their natural habitat. (Think of how basements tend to be cooler.) Another suggestion is to run the ac on a slightly higher setting if possible until you can get them moved over to your new tank. As far as the outside wall thing, perhaps in the winter that would be a cause of a cold tank, but if anything in summertime an outside wall would make it warmer. ;) If you have a room that tends to be warmer though, or even a room you can close the vent with perhaps the tank can live in there temporarily?

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:27 am

You can also try insulating around the UTH that you have. You can use Reflectix (looks like a car shade - purchase at lowe's or home depot around $14-$16 for a large roll); or you can use the more cost effective way of aluminum foil shiny side facing in towards tank, then cardboard or styrofoam. All of this can be hung using packaging tape, duct tape or reflectix tape. Do not go over the Aiicioo matt that you have - that is already insulated. You will have to go around it. :) Give the tank up to 24 hours to raise up to correct temp. In the meantime you can drape warm towels from the dryer over it if necessary (don't use dryer sheets).
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 pm

I wrapped tin foil around it, shiny side in and two towels still on top of that this morning and the temp is still averaging 74...
I'm adding two adoptions on Friday so I need to raise the temps. Buying another UTH isn't an option I'd like to go with right now, money is tight. But if I have to i will...

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 pm

The pad is just too undersized. I had 12 watts on my 10 gallon and 32 watts on my 29 gallon.

Maybe you can squeeze a bit more heat by throwing a blanket over the entire tank. I'm just not sure the pad is able to crank enough out to warm much air.
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:28 pm

Yeah, it worked for my 10 but it's just not enough for the 20. The summer heat helped it but since we added an a.c. in the house it can't keep up in the tank...

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:03 am

wodesorel wrote:The pad is just too undersized. I had 12 watts on my 10 gallon and 32 watts on my 29 gallon.

Maybe you can squeeze a bit more heat by throwing a blanket over the entire tank. I'm just not sure the pad is able to crank enough out to warm much air.
I did a thing and I'm hoping it doesn't hurt my crabs.
I knew if I left them in the corner they wouldn't survive low temps. So i gently slid the table the tank is on across the room into another spot that's warmer. I've got 2 buried so I really hope I didn't collapse any tunnels or kill my babies. It's all hardwood floor and I slid the table very slowly and gently. The temp is slowly moving up. It went from 74 to 75.8 [and slowly climbing up] in just the hour and a half it's Been there. I'm hoping that will suffice until I can add a second uth tomorrow.

Topic author
ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:32 pm

I just ordered heat tape from reptile basics! The tank is 4 feet long, so i ordered 6 inch tape that will run the entire length of the tank. That should do it