Substrate is too wet?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
finleyfoo

Substrate is too wet?

Post by finleyfoo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:43 am

I suspect the substrate is too wet. I have Fluker's All Natural Premium Sand Substrate, which I used straight out of the bag. I don't wet the substrate any more than how it came but there is a lot of humidity in the tank (around 89%). Bluey doesn't seem to have had a problem with digging tunnels that I can tell but the substrate feels quite wet to me. Should I try to dry it out a bit? Maybe mixing some dry eco earth or sand into it?

Hermiesguardian

Re: Substrate is too wet?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:17 pm

finleyfoo wrote:I suspect the substrate is too wet. I have Fluker's All Natural Premium Sand Substrate, which I used straight out of the bag. I don't wet the substrate any more than how it came but there is a lot of humidity in the tank (around 89%). Bluey doesn't seem to have had a problem with digging tunnels that I can tell but the substrate feels quite wet to me. Should I try to dry it out a bit? Maybe mixing some dry eco earth or sand into it?
Does it drip water if you squeeze a handful? If not then it should be fine. As long as it holds its shape. If it does drip you can add some dry playsand or ee. Just dont pack it down.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:00 pm

I will check if it drips. I am a bit squeamish about grabbing it!

Just curious - why not pack it down? Not that I did...

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:27 pm

finleyfoo wrote:I will check if it drips. I am a bit squeamish about grabbing it!

If you pack it down it can collapse tunnels or caves and the crabs can suffocate if they're under there.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Mon Nov 05, 2018 4:28 pm

finleyfoo wrote:I will check if it drips. I am a bit squeamish about grabbing it!

I'm curious. Why is holding the sand squeamish? I'm squeamish about holding a crab. Lol

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:51 pm

Got it about the tunnels. I was only planning to do this when Bluey was at the surface.

I am a squeamish person in general about icky things. But holding Bluey does not bother me. Of course I have never been pinched yet. That might change things.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:45 pm

You can certainly add more ee to the mixture. Check this by doing the pencil test, or chopstick test. Stick a pencil or chopstick down the front of your crabitat. If it holds it's shape it's great. If it doesn't, there is an issue. Typically this really only works for when it is too dry though. What if you put on gloves. Would that help? I have OCD, so I understand. Good luck! If your substrate is too wet, you would want to dig your crabs up very carefully.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

fandt94

Post by fandt94 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:46 pm

finleyfoo wrote:Got it about the tunnels. I was only planning to do this when Bluey was at the surface.

I am a squeamish person in general about icky things. But holding Bluey does not bother me. Of course I have never been pinched yet. That might change things.
It’s funny you mentioned the pinching thing...I’ve never been pinched either but I literally had a nightmare last night that my crabs were multiplying like gremlins and were out of control....escaping and such and as I scrambled to catch them all to put them back I was being grabbed and pinched by multiple crabs :hlol:
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

Topic author
finleyfoo

Post by finleyfoo » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:48 pm

I will try the pencil test but I am pretty sure that it will be fine as I think there is maybe too much wetness. I have the water pools on some rocks/pebbles and when I change them out, I try to sop up any residual water with paper towels. Bluey seems to be able to tunnel fine as far as I can tell. I will try to squeeze the substrate sometime (with gloves on!) and see how it is and consider mixing in some ee or some dry sand, just to make sure it's ok. Ever since I added substrate to bring the level up closer to 6 inches I have had no issue with humidity and in fact sometimes I think it may be too humid! It hovers around 85-89% and I sometimes have to wipe condensation from the inside of the glass. I have left the lid open for short periods to air it out a bit. Even if I turn off the water bubblers, it does not seem to make a difference.