Pre-Mixed Substrate from HCP

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
crabby33

Re: Pre-Mixed Substrate from HCP

Post by crabby33 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:17 pm

I have had no problems with an ammonia spike. I checked with Wodesorel first to see if there was a safe way to use it for land hermit crabs and she suggested I rinse it several times to rinse the ammonia out, which is what I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:14 pm

GotButterflies wrote:
When using live sand for aquariums that has organisms/beneficial bacteria that helps cycle aquariums faster. When those die, that will cause an ammonia spike in your tank.
I read another post a few days ago, maybe in the Emergency about adding a new crab in small carrier in an existing tank with other crabs. The next day the tank smelled of ammonia and one of the original crabs wasn't very active. I wonder if that was their problem?
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:20 pm

My crabs are okay right now but I’m looking to buy some coco fiber and play sand to make sure I get the sub changed as quickly as possible. I have a molter down right now so changing the sub will need to wait until he’s done.

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:36 pm

crabby33 wrote:My crabs are okay right now but I’m looking to buy some coco fiber and play sand to make sure I get the sub changed as quickly as possible. I have a molter down right now so changing the sub will need to wait until he’s done.

I am about to go through all of my crab supplies. I know you don’t drive, and I was in a car accident a couple of months ago and haven’t replaced my vehicle yet, but if you can get a ride or even have someone willing to pickup for you, then I would be glad to give everything I am getting rid of to you. I have way too much and am about to move so am purging. I’m in East Dallas, less than 10 mins from downtown.

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:38 pm

I can take everything. Can you mail it?

soilentgringa

Post by soilentgringa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:52 pm

crabby33 wrote:I can take everything. Can you mail it?

It would cost quite a bit more to mail it than it would for someone to drive 30-45 mins to come pick it up. I am not able to pay for the shipping at this time, the weight of the shells, eco earth bricks, wood and other items would affect price.

If you can wait a few weeks to a month I can just deliver when I get a new car.

Topic author
crabby33

Post by crabby33 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:21 pm

I appreciate you offering to bring me some stuff but I have decided I can’t meet up with you. I live in a third floor apartment and we have security cameras covering the parking lot. So I cannot just leave without being noticed. I would also be questioned by staff about why I want them to take me to down town Dallas. My mom would also question where I got the EE, shells, and wood. It’s just too risky. I will just wait until I can order some play sand. I found that Ace Hardware has Quikrete play sand and they do deliver for about $20. I can just order EE and get a heating pad for people when I go to Walmart and tape it to the back of my tank.