Food on 2nd level

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.
User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:29 pm

I ended up cutting out a section on the other side too. This way if there's a scuffle over the food there's an escape route.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

RiNiKy506
Posts: 1000
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:08 pm

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by RiNiKy506 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:10 pm

I think I saw something similar at Walmart, I was thinking about getting it for a second level but wasn’t sure what to put on it so they could walk on it. You’ve got a great idea, I may have to steal your idea.


Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by Hermiesguardian » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:16 pm

RiNiKy506 wrote:I think I saw something similar at Walmart, I was thinking about getting it for a second level but wasn’t sure what to put on it so they could walk on it. You’ve got a great idea, I may have to steal your idea. Image


Rod♡Salty♡Bob♡Squirt♡Crabina♡Who
»-♡-> Our Purple Pinchers <-♡-«
You are welcome to it. Lol.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:00 am

One thing about food being on the 2nd level is I don't think they drag any away to hide it. Good for me but I feel bad for them.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi


hyelah1990
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by hyelah1990 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:36 am

I leave food on the ground level and on the highest level in my tank. I don't have isopods but the crabbies seem to find them both just fine.

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:26 am

hyelah1990 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:36 am
I leave food on the ground level and on the highest level in my tank. I don't have isopods but the crabbies seem to find them both just fine.
They have no problem finding the food on the 2nd level. It's just they don't drag it away to bury for later.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi


hayhay528
Posts: 57
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:41 pm
Location: Sacramento, CA

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by hayhay528 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:49 pm

wow i love what you did with your temp and humidity gauge!! i have had to buy 5+ by now and I've been crabbing under 2 years!! must try this


hyelah1990
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by hyelah1990 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:35 am

Hey Hermiesguardian, just wanted to let you know that I watched my crab footage from last night... And one of my crabbies snacked on river shrimp (on the top floor) for about 20 mins, then he picked him one up and off he went. He took it to the next level down, across the shell shop, then on down to the sub. So I guess if they really want to hid their food they will find a way 🙂

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:40 am

hyelah1990 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:35 am
Hey Hermiesguardian, just wanted to let you know that I watched my crab footage from last night... And one of my crabbies snacked on river shrimp (on the top floor) for about 20 mins, then he picked him one up and off he went. He took it to the next level down, across the shell shop, then on down to the sub. So I guess if they really want to hid their food they will find a way 🙂
Very cool! I feel better! Thanks.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi


hyelah1990
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:19 pm

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by hyelah1990 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:19 am

No problemo 😉

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9179
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 am

I do the water bowls on a second level to keep them from tracking so much dirt inside, from tunneling under and spilling them, and so I don't have to bend over so far when it comes time to refill them. (Yay health issues.) Because of that, food goes on the ground level or it ends up in the water. 🙄

User avatar

Topic author
Hermiesguardian
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:41 pm

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by Hermiesguardian » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:10 am

wodesorel wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:28 am
I do the water bowls on a second level to keep them from tracking so much dirt inside, from tunneling under and spilling them, and so I don't have to bend over so far when it comes time to refill them. (Yay health issues.) Because of that, food goes on the ground level or it ends up in the water. 🙄
That's interesting. Water on the 2nd level. I imagine that's easier in really large tanks.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

User avatar

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support
Posts: 9179
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:49 am
Location: Leetonia, Ohio
Contact:

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by wodesorel » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:18 am

I've had it in tanks as small as 30 gallons. It just depends on the size of the crabs and how big their bowls need to be.

User avatar

fandt94
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:57 pm
Location: NW Indiana

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by fandt94 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:30 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:34 pm
Second levelImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Where did you get the large piece of “cholla” looking wood!? I love it!
Mom to 3 human boys, 2 dogs - Hemi & Athena, 2 cats - Fat a$$ (realname Spark Plug) & Batman & 5 PP’s - Monstro, Pinkie aka Little Bit, Shellie, other 2 unnamed

User avatar

Xenocrab
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: Food on 2nd level

Post by Xenocrab » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:54 am

That's a fake Cholla that we got at That Pet Place in Lancaster, PA. We have 2 and our crabbies love it!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5 store bought, 6 rescues and 7 adopted.

Post Reply