Humidity

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
SLEPTAS

Humidity

Post by SLEPTAS » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Does any one have any suggestions to keep humidity up?

Mine is constant around 30 so I try and most it often. I have moss all around the group. I have a coco fiber wall that is suppose to hold humidity. And I also have a bubbler in both water dishes. I'm not sure what else to do to keep it up.

When I was in a 20 gallon tank I could keep humidity around 80 easily but a 100 gallon is much harder

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Humidity

Post by aussieJJDude » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:25 pm

Humidity gauge calibrated? And any pics of the setup - the lid in particular?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:26 pm

SLEPTAS wrote:Does any one have any suggestions to keep humidity up?

Mine is constant around 30 so I try and most it often. I have moss all around the group. I have a coco fiber wall that is suppose to hold humidity. And I also have a bubbler in both water dishes. I'm not sure what else to do to keep it up.

When I was in a 20 gallon tank I could keep humidity around 80 easily but a 100 gallon is much harder
Actually I've read that the larger the tank the more stable it is. When I upgraded to a 90 I no longer had issues. Is your substrate moist? Does it hold its shape? I assume you have a sealed lid.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
SLEPTAS

Post by SLEPTAS » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:39 pm

It holds it shape except for the top layer. My lid is sealed plastic wrap

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:41 pm

What are you using for substrate?
As Aussie asked, have you calibrated your hygrometer?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Crabby Fritos

Post by Crabby Fritos » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:14 pm

The warmer the tank, the faster the water will evaporate. If you have upgraded to a 100-gallon tank is there enough heat sources to keep it nice and proportional?

Topic author
SLEPTAS

Post by SLEPTAS » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:14 am

I have a sand and eco earth mixture for substrate and my hydrometer is calibrated. It's the same one I had in my last tank and I had good humidity there but when I stuck my hand in the tank I could feel that it got a bit warmer and more humid. Now I dont feel any change with the temperature in my room.

It might have to do with my heat source considering I'm using a room heater but it worked in the last tank.

I know I need a better heat source but I dont know what to use on this big of a tank and my heat stays in the upper 70s

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:24 pm

Hello. Congrats on the upgrade!

First of all I personally prefer press n seal over plastic wrap if you have to go with sealing a lid. I think it holds humidity better. Glass tops are the best, but they are pricey. Try to pick up some used if you can.

Is it safe to assume that you mixed your substrate with dechlorinated fw or dechlorinated msw to make it sandcastle consistency? Obviously that helps keep the humidity up. Moss pits help- and if it's just the top layer - just mist with dechlorinated fresh water. Be careful not to over mist - and don't do it on the crabs.

Edit: over misting can cause flooding - so only do this as a temporary solution :)

As far as heat: On my 100 gallon, and for the 150 that I will be setting up, I have UTHs from http://www.reptilebasics.com What I love about them is that you can insulate them. Some like UTHs from http://www.beanfarm.com (I have some from both companies) - I like the ones from reptile basics better. Us crabbers use them on the backs of our tanks, and not under the tanks.
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com