Need recommendation! possible 2nd level?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
rocknrolla

Need recommendation! possible 2nd level?

Post by rocknrolla » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:23 pm

These are some pictures of my crabitat. I know it is not the best set up but tried my best for crabbies.

fake plant is on its way from china (been 2 month...) I am also thinking to add something in the middle of the thank where it just looks empty.

What would you add more to improve my crabitat condition?

tank size 20 or 25 gal
6"+ substrate (5:1)
temp 80-83
humidity 74-80
coco huts
cork tunnel with moss
Hamster wheel (They all dug down so they don't know it is here:()

Hermiesguardian

Re: Need recommendation! possible 2nd level?

Post by Hermiesguardian » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:24 pm

It looks great. I can't think of anything to put in the middle. I'm not very imaginative. Lol.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

ciaraalston

Post by ciaraalston » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:34 pm

I think this looks beautiful!!!! I'd leave the middle empty, because trust me. Once they start molting, you're going to have holes EVERYWHERE. And the more stuff you have the more annoying it is because they knock it all over. Lol.
This is simple and beautiful. I'd keep it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

4 purple pinchers & 2 ecuadorians living a life of luxury in south west Louisiana.
Follow my hermit crab learning journey on instagram! @hermitcrabs_in_the_boot

Motörcrab

Post by Motörcrab » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:12 pm

I don't think you really need anything else for the ground either. Maybe if you are looking to add something a few chunks of a different type of damp moss on top of the substrate will fill in the open area and add a little bit of contrasting color. You don't really need to add anything though.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:12 am

I personally would add something like a small shelf for a second level in there, to fill up the negative space - but no necessarily the floor. But I think it looks amazing as is, once the plant comes in, I'm sure that it will be the cherry on top.
|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
rocknrolla

Post by rocknrolla » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:33 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:12 am
I personally would add something like a small shelf for a second level in there, to fill up the negative space - but no necessarily the floor. But I think it looks amazing as is, once the plant comes in, I'm sure that it will be the cherry on top.
I was not sure that my hermies are destressing for 2 Months, or just got bored of crabitat set up. They were exploring the crabitat on first day then all dug down since...lol glad to hear that my set up is fine, i will wait until they come out. (thinking to add a second level on front left corner)

Thanks All!
Last edited by rocknrolla on Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
rocknrolla

Post by rocknrolla » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:34 am

ciaraalston wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:34 pm
I think this looks beautiful!!!! I'd leave the middle empty, because trust me. Once they start molting, you're going to have holes EVERYWHERE. And the more stuff you have the more annoying it is because they knock it all over. Lol.
This is simple and beautiful. I'd keep it!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

haha true. One of my hermit dug down right under the shell shops so the shells were all covered up by sand.