Tank flooding!

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Oliviet#1

Re: Tank flooding!

Post by Oliviet#1 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:09 am

I hope they get well soon!
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

doth

Post by doth » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:27 am

I hope she feels better, good luck!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:52 pm

Thank you.

ROSIEonFIRE

Post by ROSIEonFIRE » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:58 am

CrabMommaChara wrote:It's a long story, but basically, I'm broke.
About 1/5 of it is calci-sand.
Hey crab mom! As a fulltime student, I totally feel the pain of having to watch every dollar. That being said as I recall when I set up my tank, I think the smallest size bag of plays and I could buy was 50lbs and I'm pretty sure it was around 10$. Srsly no shame, just a heads up that play sand is WAY cheaper than the stuff they sell at the petstore

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CrabMommaChara

Post by CrabMommaChara » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:52 pm

Oh, thanks! I didn't know that it was that cheap!
Chara, proud new mother of PPs Hermes and Athena

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:17 am

CrabMommaChara wrote:Oh, thanks! I didn't know that it was that cheap!
I’m sorry, I wish I would have said that, I figured you already knew that. The 50lb bags of play sand are under $5 here in NY.

GotButterflies
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GotButterflies » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:12 pm

I'm so sorry that you went through this!!
Truly blessed to have incredible creatures, wonderful friends and my amazing family in my life!! I'm very thankful & grateful for all of them! www.thehealthyhermit.com

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Tank flooding!

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:51 pm

Thanks GB, it was so awful, that will never happen again! Rod’s finished all of her exo except for a tiny bit of BP and I thought she was out yesterday but wasn’t sure. I just caught her out so I added her back to main tank. She looks great, except for missing her one leg still.
Edit: forgot to say Crabina had gone down in the iso tank, I can hear her scratching around in the middle of the night so hopefully all with be ok with her. She had just gone down maybe a week before I realized I had the flood so she should be fine.

Skullywag

Post by Skullywag » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:43 pm

Do you think addings
All pieces of lava rock under the
Sand
Would help drainage?

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:10 pm

Skullywag wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:43 pm
Do you think addings
Sand
Would help drainage?
I would think water would still pool.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Tank flooding!

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:14 pm

Skullywag wrote:Do you think addings
Sand
Would help drainage?
It would be like a false bottom and you would be able to see it build up so it would help a little but it wouldn’t really be able to drain unless you drilled holes in the bottom of your tank for actual drainage.

Skullywag

Post by Skullywag » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:08 am

I know this sounds odd, but im thinking of adding a piece of pvc that curves at the bottom. Thinking i could suck out the extra water with a shop vac and keep the water moving throufh the substrate that way. I used a similar method with my frogs several years ago and it worked fairly well. Im actually in the process setting up a 40 gallon breeder tank now, so im gonna give it a shot. Ill take photos in the event it works...lol.

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Tank flooding!

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:19 am

Skullywag wrote:I know this sounds odd, but im thinking of adding a piece of pvc that curves at the bottom. Thinking i could suck out the extra water with a shop vac and keep the water moving throufh the substrate that way. I used a similar method with my frogs several years ago and it worked fairly well. Im actually in the process setting up a 40 gallon breeder tank now, so im gonna give it a shot. Ill take photos in the event it works...lol.
I think I know what your talking about, I was researching false bottoms after my flood. I figured I’d give it one more try without one and keep a better eye on it, I haven’t had any problems so far. I love the floor space of the 40b, I have some exotics in one right now. I was also thinking of drilling the some drainage holes in the bottom of my tanks for drainage and airflow. Please share your build, I’d love to see what you come up with.

Skullywag

Post by Skullywag » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:15 am

Absolutely! Just a word of caution on drilling holes in the tank. If its an aquarium, keep in mind that most that size are tempered glass, so it could potentially shatter, and create serious regret on your part...lol. I picked up some "Made in America" (whatever that means..lol) lava rock at Lowes, as well as some gray 3/4" conduit, and this odd dual curve piece. Thinking after some work with the Dremel, should be able to make a corner piece that could be attacjed to a shopvac and then can suck out built up water. Guess we'll see how it goes. Its certainly a different approach.

Topic author
RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:10 pm

That’s why I am super scared to do it, I really appreciate the warning.