40 Gallon w background

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Sundrop10

40 Gallon w background

Post by Sundrop10 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:45 am

Hey all!!! I’m planning to set up a 40 gallon breeder with a custom background (egg crate, spray foam, you know the ones) this summer. I’m from the east coast of the US so its usually pretty cold and dry here. I’m looking into heat sources and so far I’ve seen a lot about using UTHs on the back as being the go-to option for optimal heat without drying the tank out. However, I’m worried that the heat wont penetrate through the background. How viable are heat lamps as an option? Any suggestions for a cheap humidifier as well? I’ve seen some on amazon such as this https://www.amazon.com/AGPTEK-Fountain- ... B00PAK21WU and have been wondering if I could finagle some sort of way to it in a separate container outside the tank and seal that up and add tubing to feed it into the ‘tat? (Sorta like the homemade humidifiers with air stones)

Thanks!!!

Princess R.

Re: 40 Gallon w background

Post by Princess R. » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:29 am

I'm not sure, Sundrop10, but I don't think the background would be a problem. Maybe you just forgo the background altogether to be safe?
I have 4 purple pinchers. Crush, Bubbles, Sheldon, Sandy, and little Angelo. And I love Jesus! He is the way, the truth and the life, and he knew what he was doing when he made hermit crabs!☺
-Ruth A. J. G.

Motörcrab

Re: 40 Gallon w background

Post by Motörcrab » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:59 am

Im also in the northeast. I used egg crate on a 20 G with Coco fiber attached to the back with an Ultratherm across the entire back. The tank stays between 78-84 for me. I also have the UTH insulated.

Depending on how much spray foam could potentially work as yet more insulation. I'd be worried with having too much insulation and causing the UTH to overheat and damaging it or potentially causing the glass to crack.

We have used just egg crate on the back and all the crabs really seem to enjoys just climbing on that alone. Plus it's an easy way to attach wheels with zip ties so the crabs don't knock them over.

I never tried heat lamps or humidifiers so I can't give any advice on that.
Coenobita Curiosities offering crabby decor
https://www.etsy.com/shop/CoenobitaCuriosities