Where to move crabs?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Where to move crabs?

Post by odelayheehoo » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:11 am

I noticed that nearly all of my crabs are up on the surface, and I want to prepare to do a big cleanup and redecorating, plus add a lot more substrate since it settled a lot. Where could I put the crabs while I work so they don’t get too stressed out?
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Xenocrab

Re: Where to move crabs?

Post by Xenocrab » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:02 am

We have back up tanks with substrate, heater, water dishes, etc that hold them temporarily until the tank is finished. Just 10 gallon tanks because it's only for a few hours.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:13 am

I have two crabitats, one isn't really considered a backup but there are only two crabs up in it.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:08 am

Anyone else have an answer?
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

Hermiesguardian

Post by Hermiesguardian » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:15 am

If it's only going to be a couple of hours you can put them in a large plastic container or individual containers. Each with damp moss. Cover the containers so they can't climb out.
raising son's dog, Dante. Husky/hound.
Raising daughter's hermit crabs, Shelder, Paras and Derek. Added 2 more of my own (of course) Pete and Stryper. Former mommy to 2 guinea pigs and beloved cat, Nissi

wodesorel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by wodesorel » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:37 pm

I have used foil food pans and cardboard boxes. 😂 Anything where you can keep them from running off. If you aren't going to be with them constantly, then something very deep or with a good fitting lid!
Want to see all my crazy pets? @waywardwaifs on Instagram

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:47 pm

I have just put something extra for them to hide under (even a washed out plastic yogurt container or something like that with a hole cut as a 'door') on one side, and just worked on the other side of the tank.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:51 pm

Thanks! I previously put them in a tote with a towel on the bottom and I sprayed a bit of water to add humidity, but now I think I can make a more fitting setup while I redecorate.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP

aussieJJDude
Administrator
Administrator

Post by aussieJJDude » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:00 am

wodesorel wrote:I have used foil food pans and cardboard boxes. Image Anything where you can keep them from running off. If you aren't going to be with them constantly, then something very deep or with a good fitting lid!
I still remember one of your photos of your crabby clan in a cardboard box! It looked insane with the mass of shells in there!
odelayheehoo wrote:Thanks! I previously put them in a tote with a towel on the bottom and I sprayed a bit of water to add humidity, but now I think I can make a more fitting setup while I redecorate.
If it's a temp thing, heat, humdity and some food or water (particularly freshwater) is really all that they require. It doesnt have to be rather fancy or elaborate IMO. Just a place to keep them safe, and they should be fine.
In the past, I've used a plastic bowl/jug with a couple of mm (nothing crazy, basically enough that it covered the end segment of their leg) of water at the bottom to keep it humid and a source of water. They did fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

|| Avid Aquarist Addict (2007) || Crazy Crabbing Connoisseur (2012) || Amateur Aroid Admirer (2014) ||

"She’s there, she’s upright, and she’s wigged" ~ Trixie
Infrequently on due to studies

Topic author
odelayheehoo

Post by odelayheehoo » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:00 am

aussieJJDude wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:00 am
I still remember one of your photos of your crabby clan in a cardboard box! It looked insane with the mass of shells in there!If it's a temp thing, heat, humdity and some food or water (particularly freshwater) is really all that they require. It doesnt have to be rather fancy or elaborate IMO. Just a place to keep them safe, and they should be fine.
In the past, I've used a plastic bowl/jug with a couple of mm (nothing crazy, basically enough that it covered the end segment of their leg) of water at the bottom to keep it humid and a source of water. They did fine.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I need to see that picture!

I really would like to keep them in an environment that is humid, because the temperature won't be a problem as it'll be warm outside in the time that I do this. I can probably just use a plastic tote with a dampened washcloth and a bit of food to keep them occupied. It doesn't take me much longer than two or three hours to redecorate their tank.
Keeper Since 2016
75G - 10PP