Any suggestions?

This is where you discuss the conditions of your crabitat -- temperature, humidity, substrate, decorating, etc.

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Any suggestions?

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:36 pm

So, there are three crabs around the size of a golf ball in the tank, and I was wondering if there is anything I might want to add. Please do not say what I am doing wrong if i am, but please say what I could do instead in a positive way if you have a suggestion.

I have a 20 gallon tall tank, with 5-6 inches of substrate (EE and playsand mixture), and another .5-1 inch in a corner of EE, a hollow half log that is on the corner with EE, a plastic red cup with a hole as another hide, a BIG exercise wheel with ridges that I might modify soon, a fresh water dish, a salt water dish, a lego structure/second story with stairs to get up, EE on the LEGO structure, shells as food dishes that are on the structure, a lizard ladder(as another way to get to the second story) a metal mesh lid for the top(with plastic wrap and a towel on top), over 9 shells, and 2 acurite weather stations. I am also thinking about getting some plants. I might include pictures later
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Cococrabgirl!

Re: Any suggestions?

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Thu May 09, 2019 2:40 pm

I think your setup sounds great ,but I am a little worried about the Legos. I am just curious how did you cleaned them?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Cococrabgirl!

Post by Cococrabgirl! » Thu May 09, 2019 2:41 pm

Cococrabgirl! wrote:I think your setup sounds great ,but I am a little worried about the Legos. I am just curious how did you cleaned them?

Oh and pictures please!

My pets! Trixie(dachshund) Bella(yorkie poo) Hermy(female pp) Dory(male pp) (btw I named Hermy and Dory before I new their gender oops) lots of Marimos!

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:44 pm

Cococrabgirl! wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:40 pm
I think your setup sounds great ,but I am a little worried about the Legos. I am just curious how did you cleaned them?

I rinsed them with declorinated water
I have had pets in the past, but my family can’t have any furry or feathered ones due to allergies. I usually try my best to help and currently trying to set up a crabitat. I also try to treat others with Love!❤️

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:48 pm

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 09, 2019 3:00 pm

I weave/braid hemp as climbing ropes and use zip ties to attach Cholla. I like to add climbing things. I use Terra cotta pots with moss. We have a shelf too ImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

ImageImageImage
6 babies, 4 Es and 15 PPs.

curlysister
Administrator
Administrator

Post by curlysister » Thu May 09, 2019 3:31 pm

If your crabs are golf-ball size, is 5-6inches of sub at least 3x as deep as your largest?
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." -Will Rogers

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 09, 2019 3:34 pm

I have 7" in the 30 gallon and 12" in the 55 gallon. My crabs are ping pong ball sized to the size of an orange. My substrate settles, so I like to add a little more to make sure that they still have enough after it settles.

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:42 pm

Sorry I measured them wrong, they are smaller than golf/ping pong balls, the substrate is at least three times deep or more(probably more) than the biggest one. Thanks for the ideas Xenocrab! Your crabs and tank look awesome!

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Thank you! I'm always changing it! Adding different things! I don't want them to get bored!

Topic author
Oliviet#1

Post by Oliviet#1 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:48 pm

Xenocrab wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 3:43 pm
Thank you! I'm always changing it! Adding different things! I don't want them to get bored!

They don’t look like they will get bored! Di you mind if I copy some of your ideas?(maybe in the future) I forgot to ask where you got the shelf from, and I thought the pot with shells attached to it was cool.

Xenocrab

Post by Xenocrab » Thu May 09, 2019 4:00 pm

Go ahead! I get decorating shells from craft/hobby stores. I boil them, soak them in DC water, dry completely, then glue them with silicone. But it has to sit out of the tank to dry. Fumes and stickiness are bad for crabbies.

Hermie escape artist

Post by Hermie escape artist » Thu May 09, 2019 4:21 pm

Awesome pics !! Love that idea of a secound level with the Legos ...ur not the first person I've seen use legos!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

scuttlecrusty22

Post by scuttlecrusty22 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:14 am

I used a soap holder/w suction cups for a little "tree house" for my crabbies. I added moss and cuttlebone up there, I also added some strawberries so they would have a snack. :colors:
(Scuttle, Crusty) crabs, (Buster,Ruby) chihuahuas, (Bugs) goat, (Echo) betta fish (Skittles,Sky) parakeets

John 3:16 "For God so loved the world, he gave his only begotten son that whosoever believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life"

RiNiKy506

Post by RiNiKy506 » Sat May 11, 2019 11:22 am

Your tank looks very good. Legos are perfectly fine to use, there are a few people that make things out of legos in other groups that I have seen. I think it’s a very creative way to add some cool things for them to climb on.